SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sixtyohno

the next saga in We Finally Face Reality

8 years ago

So here's the next saga in We Finally Face Reality. There is an underground tank in the front garden. The tank we use is in the basement and fills in the back of the house. 2 pipes stick up among the flowers in the front garden. We never really paid attention to them and we just remembered the tank.

Here's the story. The house was built in 1987. It was a spec house. IBM, the biggest employer around here laid people off, so the owner, who became my good friend, and recently died at 103, got renters. Apparently, in 1996, the renters left in middle of the night and took a window with them in February of course. The oil tank was disconnected to the furnace and there were oil cans in the basement and it was thought that they were feeding the furnace with them. Who knows. The house needed painting and some taping and a huge cleanup because the tenant collected old engines and they were in the basement and all over the property.

We came along 4 months later to a pristine, newly painted house with an oil tank in the basement. 19 years later as we are about to put the house on the market, with its gorgeous new roof, we remembered the tank.

The same fuel company has serviced the house since 1987. I called and asked if there might be an underground tank somewhere. I didn't say I knew. They are looking into their history and will get back to me. We are hoping they sucked out whatever was in the tank when they put in the new one and put the oil in the new tank. Or maybe the tank was empty and they just left it. The tank was at most 9 years old. That would be the best case. We have to get the tank out and have the soil tested. If there has been any leakage, the soil will have to be tested, dug out where the tank was, and the next layer tested. Paying for removal is the really expensive part.

Can there be a good solution that only cost a few thousand? We have to do it right as much as we would like to get someone to dig it out and disappear it.

I am distraught.

Laura

Comments (27)