SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosebay_gw

Kitchen layout help - not as confused as before thanks to GW!

rosebay
8 years ago

I posted a cry for help a few days ago, and received a lot of great advice. To recap, I have a small galley kitchen - 9' wide, one wall is 10' the other is 12'. Because of your help, I was able to decide:

1. Increase counter depth. I've decided range side will be 28" and sink side will be 26".

2. Increase wall cabs to 15". I've decided one wall will be 15" the other 12". I really only need the extra width to accommodate some of my dishes.

3. It's a small kitchen, so replace the wall oven and cooktop with a range. This was the best advice - I will gain about 3' of countertop space!

4. Pullouts are recommended. So are drawers. I will order nothin' but drawers for my lower cabinets, and have planned for at least two pullouts - one upper and one lower.

5. Remove soffits and take cabinets to ceiling. I'm tall, so can easily reach the top shelf.

So - here are my proposed layouts, based on GW feedback!

I need help with deciding on the dual fuel range - 30" or 36"? I am single, live alone. I do enjoy to entertain over the holidays, have children and one grandchild, with hopes of more :). You can see I have added a small extension of the countertop to extend beyond the cabinets, just enough for one stool. I expect I will eat my breakfast there, and could imagine my grandson sitting there while I pull cookies out of the oven for him :)

Anyway - any thoughts? 30 or 36" range? Do I have too many pullouts? Not enough? What are your favorite pullouts?

Re: the laundry room - I'm torn between doing just solid cabinets, floor to ceiling. But, I really like the idea of more counter space, especially during holidays. Plus, it provides a surface for folding laundry etc. I thought I would first install kitchen space, see how it works and then do the laundry area as phase 2.

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate your sage advice.

Anita

Comments (8)