SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mccb1

Final look at my layout? Chicago bungalow kitchen

mccb1
8 years ago

Thanks to everyone who has already weighed in on my previous layouts. I think I finally have one I'm happy with, but would love any ideas about how to tweak it to make it even better before I order my Conestoga RTA cabinets!

This is a DIY project (except for electrical). I'd like to leave the sink and stove where they are, to avoid moving utilities. The two windows in the kitchen are both about 24 inches off the floor, and I'd rather not replace them if I can avoid it. I'm up for any other changes, though.

Red boxes are uppers. Near the fridge, these are counter-sitting open cabinets with shelves. Above the baking counter, it's a combination plate rack & upper cabinet. Above the sink I'd like to build open shelves with pot racks over the sink's drainboards for drip-drying. No uppers in the stove area.

Some questions I have:

1) Are the two 18-inch cab drawers on either side of the refrigerator useful? If you have drawers this size, what do you keep in them?

2) Is there a better way to get seating in the kitchen? I realize that with this layout, the fridge is blocking the view of anyone sitting there.

3) Is there enough space between the counter seating and the maximum swing of the back door (36 inches)?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (25)