SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindy103d

Kitchen layout - Finally!! Looking for design advice.

Cindy103d
11 years ago

I've been lurking here for months as we work on other portions of our remodel but the time has come to get serious about kitchen design.

We started the remodel three years ago and are probably setting the record for the slowest remodel ever. We both work full-time with long hours, so do carpentry work on the weekends. We also have "while we're at it" disease, so our project has grown and grown and grown.

On to the kitchen! We are Craig's list addicts and have already purchased many of our appliances and wood from there. We have a new dishwasher, microwave, apron sink, granite and a slightly used stove already purchased. We also have a big stack of mahogany that we're planning to turn into cabinets. Ambitious or foolish, we haven't decided yet.

I've attached a portion of the floor plan that shows the kitchen, plus an idea of how we're thinking of laying out the cabinets. Would love some input on design, particularly:

1. Should the 48" stove be centered in the wall? Or should we move the stove closer to the fridge and the sink/dishwasher further the other way so they are not across from each other?

2. We're planning on all drawers other than the trash pull-out. Each unit will appear to be 4 drawers, although a couple of them will actually have 2 of the drawers hooked together fronting a tall drawer for cookie sheets, etc. Will it look strange to have that many drawers in a kitchen this long and narrow?

3. There will be a pass-through bar between the kitchen and the sunroom, probably with a 15" overhang. We're also thinking of a taller cabinet in the living room side of the kitchen that will be a serving area when we have company and will hide the kitchen mess every day. These two gar areas would be the same height on different walls. Two much?

4. Any other areas that seem odd - please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your input. This site rocks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Floor plan

Comments (11)