SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scotty_karaokeguy

About to get fired from my job, decision on income...help

John Tunners
8 years ago

Hey all, so my manager calls me in today and tells me things are going slow for me as far as picking up on things that I should be picking up on, and I four weeks ago switched from MR/DD to Vet Assistant and now I completely feel like crap about it. I feel like I want to find a new job because in my mind, the worse thing before buying a home in a few months is to be fired. Here's the whole situation:

I make 30k a year. My fiance 46k. I made 23k two years ago (first time working full time since I was doing temp work and not doing much with my life), and then 26k last year. This new job got us 4k more (but it's weird because hours aren't set, even though I make 14.50 an hour rather than 12.50, it's 35 hours due to being charged an hour for lunch break, and the hours change weekly)

So, basically I want out. I have a job interview I did, $33k a year (around $15.50 an hour) but no benefits ($350 stipend towards Obamacare). Another open position at a day care center for $10.50 an hour) - $21,00 a year. I don't believe the position at the day care center is a smart move. Definitely not.

I feel my days are numbered with this new job - I feel, what's the point of putting so much energy in if I'm just going to potentially get fired? Why learn more? It's not the type of job where they train you. See, this job was open because five people left in a row. I was hired, then a few others and I feel that maybe I'm the weak link. I have ADHD, I don't learn too well, but I am a hard worker. The manager basically said that she knows I'm engaged, and changed jobs and looking to start my life and that she understands that, etc. She didn't fire me, but I feel I'm on the firing line. Makes me feel like crap.

I live at home, I plan on buying a home in 2016 (winter). I am curious if dropping down to let's say $12.00 an hour (roughly $1350-$1400 a month) from what I make now $14.50 is going to affect us getting a mortgage? I can ask my mortgage broker directly but I'd rather not.

I wonder if we will be scrutinized and asked about it.

When I spoke to my mortgage broker, we talked about down payments and we will be doing a $200-250k down payment so based upon 70k (the broker estimated at 6k less to round it out) he said with 200k down we can afford up to a $480k home) - We wouldn't even consider buying anything NEAR there, but it's good to see that 6k less (gross), which would be probably $11.50 an hour I would guess, would still net us a good pre-qualification. We are looking up to $420k home, pref something in the mid to late $300k).

At times I wish I just had a simple, secure job. Something 9-5, full time, benefits. My new job has been crazy scheduling and weekends non stop. Sometimes I forget what day it is. It's a good change of pace from my old job, but not a forever job and I knew this.

I do make half that money doing video work on a monthly basis so supplementing some extra money is helpful, as long as there's work and there has been for many years, so that's good. But it does concern me with the drop in pay if I decide to try not to get fired and to find something before getting fired.

Is being fired and totally getting another career going to stop us from getting a home? Some people may say yes, some may say no. I will say that I am not completely happy with my job and the hours are 32-38 hours, varying and I want a full time set 40 hour work well.

Or how would it look if I took a part time with benefits job and did that, and supplemented my money other way? For example $1,000 a month. So to go from $1,400 a month to $1,000 a month, will that stop us from getting a mortgage?

I'm trying to figure out options here. My love is video but video jobs full time are in NYC and the cost of a train monthly is $400-500 bucks. It's insane. I've been thankful to work close to where I live and to be successful making consistent money every week with video work. It really helps and will help once we get a mortgage.

So, I am interested in hearing everyones thoughts.

Comments (275)