SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vsh1_gw

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

vsh1
10 years ago

Dear all,

I have been lurking here since 2011, when I first started thinking about a kitchen reno, but then got sidetracked by a leaking shower which necessitated a master bath reno, then my daughter got married, and now my son is getting married in mid-March. We might have done the kitchen after the bath was done, but the quote and the money available didn't equate. But now I think we might actually be able to get moving again on this project in April.

My spouse and I have worked through a variety of issues to arrive at a good plan. Now we need to think about appliances. We live in an upper middle class area, and this will likely end up being a $100K job. Such an expenditure will, however, somewhat pay for itself in the value of the home. Thus it is reasonable to install high end appliances.

I have a few questions.

1. I want to go with Wolf for a range, and I would like the grill option. If I went with a 36" range, I would get a wider oven than on a 48" range, and I would then likely need another wall oven along with microwave and warming drawer. On the other hand if I got the 48" range I wouldn't really need a wall oven, just the MW and warming drawer. The 48" would allow for 4 burners together, which I would prefer and which I couldn't do with the 36" given that both ranges would have grills. I would go AG, I think. Any thoughts on 36" vs 48", also AG vs DF, given these constraints?

2. I'm also very impressed with the Subzero for a refrigerator. My spouse, however, would like to see data about how it keeps food fresher longer. Has anybody seen that type of data?

3. An alternative to the SZ might be to purchase separate freezer and refrigeration columns from another brand. I am dealing with 42" at most, so would need 18" freezer column and 42" refrigeration column. In this way we would at least achieve separate compressors for the two units, part of the reason behind the SZ performance with respect to food freshness. I'm not sure, however, this would cost any less. Any thoughts you have on this with respect to brand, etc., would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Comments (3)