SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielj_2009

Question about lawn stress in summer

danielj_2009
8 years ago

I think this is a two part question. I drive around town and see that most of the lawns are stressed from the heat. I'm trying to understand the relationship between water and soil resources and heat, and how that impacts a lawn's ability to recover from stress during the summer. I guess I'm trying to take what I've learned about lawn care and make some conclusions about stress recovery.

Question 1: As we know, most lawns are not cared for properly and are under some form of stress constantly. However, is watering properly enough for even these lawns to avoid summer stress (shocked, or dormant brown grass spots)? I wonder if an average lawn, watered properly with, say, in ground irrigation, would make it through summer nice and green?

Question 2: I've learned that grass does not like to grow during the heat of summer, so it relies on carbohydrates stored from the prior fall and spring feeding to make it through summer without stress (I guess this contradicts question 1). I do note that if I feed with OceanGro in August, the grass does green up, so it does take up nutrients even when it it warm. Is it easier for grass to green up than it is to store carbohydrates in hot weather? (OK, that's not the real question, just one on the way to the real one). So if a neighbor's lawn is dried out and they come out with the water and soak it good, will the grass recover, or is it likely so depleted of carbohydrates that it will have to wait semi dormant until cooler weather when it is capable of generating carbos for regrowth? In contrast, if a healthy lawn gets dried out from lack of water is it more capable of recovering right away because of the stored carbos?

I think that covers what I was interested in. Hopefully I've not been too confusing.

Comments (5)