SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hltx610

Summer Care for Neglected Lawn

hltx610
11 years ago

Hey all!

New member here. I've been very impressed with the quality of info I've read on this forum so far but thought I would ask for some advice personally since I am an absolute rookie to lawn care.

Basically, I just moved into a new house that was previously owned by an investor who never lived there. The lawn is currently in pretty bad shape (I am a barefoot junkie but this grass hurts to walk on!). It has little patches of green but the majority seems to be dead/brown/sleeping/whatever grass does when it isn't green. My knee-jerk reaction was to fertilize with Scott's (I'll buy anything Nolan Ryan endorses, including sausage), but after reading more on this forum, that seems like a bad idea this time of year, especially with the Texas summer coming on. It was recommended to me to overseed next year, but I am unsure what, if anything, I should be doing for my lawn this summer.

So my questions are:

When should I overseed? I was told February. Is this an appropriate time? Also, what type of seed is best for this climate? Would Bermuda work?

Should I consider an organic fertilizer right now, like Milorganite or soy bean meal? Would this do anything to strengthen my roots?

How often should I mow? Right now it seems like there is little growth going on. Maybe a better questions is how long should I keep the grass, or what's left of it?

How often should I water? I'm sure it will be a hot summer, as usual, and my understanding is that I should keep what I have alive to increase the success of a fall overseed. I've been reading to water 1" at signs of stress but I don't know if that applies to me since I don't have much of a lawn right now, so it all looks stressed! I am also unsure what kind of grass I have. Right now it seems to be a mix of things. I have heard there term "crab grass" thrown around. It's probably that, although I don't see any crabs.

Thanks for your replies! An idiot-proof checklist/timeline would be ideal, but I will take any and all advice from people who use big words and lawn jargon such as "chemical", "aerate", or "rake".

Comments (6)