SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gearhead36

Reviving neglected Bermuda lawn in a rental

gearhead36
11 years ago

Just moved into a rental house after a couple of years of apartment life, so I'm back in the lawn care game. I'm in north Alabama, and the lawn is Bermuda that has been neglected. The first time I saw the lawn (about a month ago), it looked like it hadn't been mowed in at least a month. It's thin, has lots of weeds, and the ground (I doubt it resembles soil) is compacted. But since it's a rental, I'm not really willing to dump a ton of money into fixing it. I am willing to mow as often as necessary, water (but watering restrictions may be on the way due to low rainfall), fertilize, and remove weeds (or apply weed killer). My neighbor tells me that he and a few others go in on an aerator every fall, so I'd be willing to do that, too. I've mowed twice at ~2". I've read conflicting advice regarding mowing height. One says mow as high as possible. Others say Bermuda should be mowed less than 1 inch, which may not be possible with my rotary mower. When I researched this a few years ago, the recommendation for Bermuda was 1 inch or less, up to 2 inches max. Has that changed?

I feel that lawns should be barefoot friendly, and that's my goal. Some of the weeds have woody like stems that are very uncomfortable on bare feet, but I can likely get rid of those with weed killer or just pulling them with my Weed Hound. But I'd like for the remaining bare spots to fill in with grass. Since I feel that a lawn should be barefoot friendly, I'd prefer to stay away from harsh chemicals, but I'm not above resorting to an application of Scotts or whatever to get things jump started.

What should I do? What fertilizer should I apply? And when? Is it too late to apply an organic fertilizer? Or should I forgo fertilizer in favor of something else? Should I lower my mowing height? If so, to what height, and how should I get there? I.e. drop one notch each mowing, and mow every 3 days, etc. I don't know the variety of Bermuda I have, but I suspect it's a typical builder grade. The yard has no trees. The only shade the grass gets is next to the house.

I know the lawn really needs more than I'm willing to do, but I'd like to be smart and get the most benefit from what I AM willing to do.

Thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor