SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

I Love, Love, Love My Queenie!!!!

mamapinky0
8 years ago

I am in heaven...I can't even describe how happy I am with this Speed Queen so far. Shes hooked up, clothespin in place, wiped out a bunch of times with mean green, there was a lot of polishing compound on the tub, dumped in a bucket of water, turned it to hot,extra large load, heavy duty cycle...took a deep breath, said a prayer, and pulled the knob....the pure hot water started pouring in and I mean pouring, and it filled to just under the top row of holes. Pure bliss...the clothespin worked after it filled it started merrily agitating. And it sounds great. Only one tiny issue ( come on folks you know no machines perfect) I have to time it but it doesn't wash long enough, that's easy, let it agitate, shut off for my soaks, turn dial back around to wash again..lol..easy as pie. So far this is absolutly the machine for me...I will update you in a bit...a million thanks to you all!!!!

Comments (51)

• georgect
    8 years ago

Congrats!

Finally!

Now get to washing everything you can get your hands on.

Show us some pictures.

mamapinky0 thanked georgect
  • Related Discussions

have had it for a month and i love it, love it, love it!!

Q

Comments (3)
    I bought a Roomba 535 model through Home Shopping Network's website. The delivery was FREE, and their price is $249. And they have a 30-day no hassle return policy if you don't like it. Since I was a first time buyer at HSN, I used a coupon that I found on the internet. The coupon code is C56574 - and it's valid for 15% off your entire purchase if you are a first time shopper at HSN.com. I enterd the code at the checkout, and sure enough it worked. HSN also offers a two year warranty BEYOND the manufacturer's warranty (making 3 years of coverage) for about $30. So it's possible to get a new model Roomba for $211 delivered, or under $250 with a 3-year warranty.
    ...See More

I love love LOVE....

Q

Comments (37)
    I have an Exopat mat that I bought on Amazon several years ago. It's made in France, too. I've always meant to get another, but somehow never get around to it. I like parchment, too - will have to see if they sell the sheets at Costco, as there is no restaurant supply near me. I usually buy mine at AC Moore with a 40% or 50% off coupon. They have all that Wilton stuff and it's about the same price as the supermarket to begin with.
    ...See More

Love love love my smaller house

Q

Comments (16)
    Deedles, you will have a good time in your new 2br house. One thing though. I'd lived alone for 32 years before I remarried my college sweetheart. We are both retired. And, while you might not need two FULL baths, at least two toilets are a MUST. Think about ways you can add a half bath or make a Jack and Jill bath with a his/hers half, and the sinks and shower/tub shared. It helps keep a bit of personal privacy. The wall space for pictures is an issue with me too. I love artwork on the walls. If you have a hallway, think about making it your "gallery." I think Pottery Barn has many good ideas for hanging things in groups, and then HOUZZ and Pinterest are also good places to check out the subject. RosesStink, (love that name!) I went through that with my mother's things, then with my DH's things from his deceased first wife. That was a ticklish issue, and over the last 6 years I've tried to keep everyone happy....except his daughter who thinks I am satan personified....and now we are just about totally done with moving personal treasures around. To his son, we gave their mom's everyday china, and to the other daughter we gave her good china and silver and Christmas ornament collection. And, of course, the gifts they gave to her over the years. Of the old old stuff, my DH wanted to keep HIS mother's china...which I was pleased to do. We will be doing a remodel of the kitchen here, knocking out a wall to join the dining and kitchen, as well as the back porch. We had to add a second bath and walkin closet in a bumpout to the original house, because the one bathroom original to this 1950s house was about to fall through the floor, and it had mold, no floor under the tub, etc. Now it is a nice quiet little house with an enclosed sun porch, a separate garden shed 12 x 16, a 20 x 25 Teahouse which was a garage, and we are very happy here. We are both getting too old to do heavy projects much longer, so it is good to have a contractor we can trust. He's done two of our remodel projects so far, and will be doing the last one. Probably next winter, unless we can get him this spring and summer. It will have to be at a time we can move everything in the house out into the Teahouse. A kitchen job messes with the power, the plumbing, and the exterior walls as well as roofing and flooring.
    ...See More

Love, love love my new pressure cooker!

Q

Comments (14)
    If you love your PC you might want to try my favorite recipe. German Potato Salad (pressure cooker) 6 slices bacon, diced 1/8 tsp. pepper 4 medium potatoes, diced 1 tsp. dry mustard 1 onion, thinly sliced 2 TBL. Water 2 to 3 TBL. Sugar 2 TBL. Parsley 2 TBL. Salt 1/3 cup vinegar Heat pressure cooker and brown bacon, pour off fat. Add potato and onion. Combine remaining ingredients and pour into cooker. Mix well. Cook for 5 minutes in pressure cooker and cool cooker at once. (I all ways double recipe) Enjoy! Kathy G in MI
    ...See More
  • larsi_gw
    8 years ago

You heard my sigh Mama!! lol I am so happy for you! I've watched several Queenie videos on Youtube, and I have to say YOUR machine is the only one that would tempt me to go back to a top loader. The SQ water levels for washing and rinsing are fantastic!!! The last time I used a top loader was November 1995, LOL (I remember the most random things!!), and it was not a good top loader (it was a stacking washer & dryer Frigidaire). I think you got the perfect Mama machine!!!

mamapinky0 thanked larsi_gw
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Poppy. Lol..just watched final spin I like the spray rinse before the deep rinse and the spray will hit the clothes, which is great. I seen some vids where it came straight down, but speed queen must have fixed that issue. Now everythings clean so I'm going to start my first load of laundry lol..I do see dosing will require careful measuring..this whips up the suds more than the roper, but could be due to an empty load.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

WOO HOO!!!! It always works out as it should.

mamapinky0 thanked rococogurl
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hubs sheets, 5 minutes into wash, hot water medium load size, 21/2 oz tide professional, 1 oz stpp

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Spray comming off to the right.

• recordaras
    8 years ago

OMG look at all that WATER!!! Haha. Congrats Mama! I guess fate was just guiding you in the direction of the SQ this whole time. :) Enjoy it - after all you've been through you definitely deserve it!

mamapinky0 thanked recordaras
  • whirlpool_trainee
    8 years ago

Yay - a Speed Queen for the Laundry Queen. ;-)

mamapinky0 thanked whirlpool_trainee
  • practigal
    8 years ago

I suspect those photos will sell more washers......

mamapinky0 thanked practigal
  • beaglenc
    8 years ago

I'm jealous!! I'll trade you, my 542 for your 432. I love the water level. On mine that would be extra large. Yeah, the gov. regs. when it was made. Wish they stay out of the laundry rooms. I am so happy for you, after all you've been through, yes you hear a sigh of relief going up your way.

mamapinky0 thanked beaglenc
  • rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

Nice classic TL Good luck and enjoy your new machine!

mamapinky0 thanked rpsinfoman
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol....thank you all for the good wishes....Beagle, I was surprised at the water level considering regulations, I was told it was full fill but still I had doubts.

Rococogurl, yep sometimes things work out, sometimes we have to go thru some bad to get to the good..this sure did work out to the good.

Recordaras, lol yes tons of glorious water, and I love it, but lets keep that a secret lol.

Rpsinfoman, thank you, I will enjoy it, I had running around today or I would have enjoyed it more..but I just put towels in to soak lol.

Practigal, if my photos sell more speed queens lol..I should get a share, or a matching dryer haha.

Whirlpool..lol, thank you for such a nice compliment..I should make a crown out of clothspins, but I have a feeling my kids would lock me up lol.

Thank you Larsi, I do think I got the perfect machine for me..I almost can't believe how perfect. Haha

• MizLizzie
    8 years ago

My SQ is a front loader (the stacked SQ) but I love it and think they make awesome machines. I am always shocked more people don't own them. Congrats on finding your perfect pinky machine!

mamapinky0 thanked MizLizzie
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Lizzie

• Cadyren
    8 years ago

Wow, really don't need or miss all that water. My 9 year old Bosch gets stuff cleaner than my 1984 Maytag ever did. My septic system thanks me. Does this thing heat all that water or is it just as it comes from the tap? Enjoy none the less!

• dadoes
    8 years ago

That's too much water for the size of the sheets load.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cindy its tap hot.

Dadoes, yes it was to much water, I hit medium level and was surprised at the amount of water for medium load, but figured it was great for picture taking, I actually added another tan sheet set to it but than added a bit more water, and it was perfect.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Pink--I read on AW Pic of the Day they had a Philco-Bendix machine and it was giving the "pros" of the machine. One was: Automatic Power Soak-" This 3-6 minutes of activated soak is actually more efficient than soaking clothes all night in stationary tubs". Thought of you when I saw that LOL

Then the new Pic of the Day came up and it is a Lady Executive Hotpoint washer that you can set to soak from 1 hr to 10 hrs then it continues into the wash cycle, which could be set for 2 washes 2 rinses 1 wash 2 rinse 2 wash 1 rinse etc. You should look at that if you get a free minute. LOL Too Bad they don't still make those--sounds right for you. Ha.

You will have to try the SQ Soak and see how well it does. I bet it is no longer than 6 minutes??

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will try the SP soak this morning, I'm curious but I suspect your right, it sure won't be long..my soaking routine is done for several reasons, usually its getting late, and I need to get to bed so I let the clothes soak, however I know the enzymes and sodium percarbonate have a life time in water, around 6 hours and its no longer beneficial. Also I know enzymes take somewhere around 20 minutes to work, I know most traditional top loaders don't have wash cycles of 20 minutes. Which is why I always soak every load, during the day most loads soak 30-60 minutes, longer if I get busy or have to run some where. Its usually my whites or towels that get the overnight soak, its really not as complicated as I make it sound...lol. I follow a certain pattern for most loads excluding whites, I start the load, add my detergent, and boosters, if needed, start agitation for 5 minutes or so, shut off, soak 30-60 minutes (unless I have to run out and they soak longer) than resume wash, once in awhile I turn the knob back to the beginning of wash cycle, that's usually done with expecially dirty loads. soaking is a more gentle form of cleaning it allows the chemicals to work and doesn't beat the things to shreads.

Sparky..I would love that Lady Executive Hotpoint, what a great toy that would be lol.

• beaglenc
    8 years ago

You're never too old to learn are you?LOL I had no idea about the lenght of time for enzymes to work. Guess I'll start soaking more. Thanks Ma.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol Beagle, hey I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere enzymes only survive in water a couple of hours and sodium percarbonate 6 hours, I will have to check on that.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like this Speed Queen more everyday. And I can fit more in a load than the Roper, today I did my sons big fluffy full size comforter, there was plenty of room for good turn over, in the roper it would have barely fit and would not have had turn over. Everything comes beautifully clean and the rinse is excellent, even if I overdose by the time it fills for the deep rinse the spin and spin rinse already did such a great job that the rinse water is crystal clear . Yep, I love this machine for sure, Sparky, a friend wants my Roper do you think I should give it to her lol.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

If you don't have any attachment to it being your Mom's. But if you could put it somewhere else OR if it was me I would give it to the first son that moves out. Regardless of him going to buy a new one, this way it would save him some money plus he would have part of his grandmother still around. I am funny about things like that!.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Sparky, ya good advice, I'm gonna hold it for Michael the eldest, Matt won't take it he's decided on a Larsi machine which is fine with me since I can go to his place and use lol. I'm going to put the roper in my cousins hested basement she has plenty if storage space and I don't. By the way I paid for the SQ lol I refused to let Matt do it, I told him if he wants he can save the money and send me to Hawaii. .lol..no I didn't tell him that, but I told him how much I appricated his generous almost gift lol..but I would really much prefer a old used vintage wringer to play with outside next summer..and that I forbid him to spend more than 100 $ this way I get a wringer and he's not spending tons of money. I thought his gift of a washer extremely generous, but I wanted him pleased with himself by making me happy without going into debt. I also told him not to get the wringer till spring..remember I have one comming when the man's wife gets well.lol anyway thank you sparky

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Another thread reminded me I should update some things...since I've gotton the speed queen I've not carried pots of hot water lol..I did turn the hot water tank up just a smigeon.. it now fills at 135 degrees f...perfect..now for my soaks..I was so far behind on laundry with all the washers in and out that I did many loads without soaking ( Shh don't let that get out) and most came clean with the exception of tomato based stains. However I still soaked whites. But like I mentioned somewhere I felt like something was missing or I forgot something. Even though this speed queen does a fantastic job I still believe clothes will get their cleanest using a soak, more of a deep down clean. Top loaders use more water, but they have a faster wash cycle and clothing in my house will benefit from a soak, even 30 minutes goes a long way. I have young boys that at the end of the day have all kinds of food and dirt on them. Does anyone know how long it takes enzymes to be beneficial? For some reason I want to say 20-30 minutes, but that may be wrong. Most FL'ers have long wash cycles so soaking isn't as important except for difficult stains. I probably sound like I'm trying to justify why I soak when I use a machine that does a good job and maybe I am. I like knowing I did a deep clean and gave the enzymes and sodium percarbonate plenty of time to do its job, I just don't want anyone to get the impression the Speed Queen is lacking in its cleaning abilities, it isn't..but it takes more sometimes than just a great machine..it also takes chemicals and time. So I will continue with my soaks unless its a day that time is a factor, but the soup pot is on the shelf, unless I buy some vintage sheets and pillowcases and they need hotter than hot water.feels like I wrote a book here lol.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    8 years ago

My SQ is one year old. I appreciate how easy it is to use -- my 15 year old can do her own laundry without a problem.

I am still disappointed with the fill level and I am too chicken to start messing with the lever mechanics. It barely holds my set of king sized sheets.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Don't you love loving a washing machine! My next, when my Whirlpool croaks, will be a SQ. Sister and I were talking about this last night. She regrets spending a fortune on her FL with all the ridiculous options. We agree, next machines will be simple agitator top loaders with manual controls.

KISS rule when it comes to appliances.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Its been going on 3 months now since I bought my Queenie so I figured its time for an update lol. I do still LOVE this machine, but there have been a few non serious issues, when I first used her she filled full all the way to just under the top row of holes,and yes the dial is turned to extra large loads, yet only fills to the third row down from the top . This has been going on since several weeks after I bought her. I'm wondering if it was some kind of gimick installed to stop filling full after so many loads, I know this sounds crazy, but I can't think why this would do this. It just means I have to hold the reset button but even that is really no big deal since I'm never one to load and go anyway lol. Also I can't say I much care for the Handwash/delicate cycle it mostly just soaks, I like the old washer, not pausing on this cycle, it agatated at a slow speed and spin was a slower speed, I can also deal with this as most of my gentle garments need a gentle detergent and not a gentle wash cycle...all in all I love this machine and feel it was worth every cent. I highly recomment the Speed Queen AWN432 for anyone looking for a traditional top loader that.

• Pawprint
    8 years ago

I tried that yesterday in my HE TL. I have a hose connected to my hot water heater. I put the hose in the washer & turned the hot water heater spigot on full blast. The force of the water blew the hose out of the washer & water was spewing everywhere. What a mess to clean up, but I got the tub filled up! I'll be more careful in the future. It's only my tub full of throw rugs that need the extra water.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol, paw I wish I would have been a fly on the wall watching, I can just see the hose hanging in the washer one minute than Boom, its flipping around the room like a balloon that you blow up and let go...but oh my the mess...did anything get ruined?

Are you watching the game...my team the Steelers is playing Bangles? Lol

• Pawprint
    8 years ago

Luckily no one was hurt or burned. Just water everywhere.

Not watching the game. The weather is supposed to be beautiful for a few days so I took my car to an automatic laser carwash down the street. It malfunctioned & the spray jet blew off and dented in my driver side door. I'm just in disbelief. No injuries tho. I called the emergency # in the carwash wall & left a message. Doubt they'll call back. Well I took the nozzle home with me. I told them if they want it back they need to fix my car.

See the second picture where it's gone?

I can't get a good picture of the dent tho!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh damn yes they should pay for repairs, I'd insist and if they say no, tell them your going to speak to your attorney, you know how people don't want to take responsability...sorry this happened Scott. Youve had a hum dinger of a week end. lol@ you taking the nozzle. .good thinking....maybe you should have stayed in and watched the game....lmao....you won!

• Pawprint
    8 years ago

It's unmanned. I called the emergency # and left a voicemail. We'll see. Just my luck too!

• georgect
    8 years ago

Oh frig Paw. There's nothing worse than trying to clean something and it goes wrong and actually causes damage.

You might have to take an angled shot (shot from the side, not head on) allowing light to shadow if possible.

I hope you get compensation.

• wsu1
    8 years ago

I was happy to read this. We got a SQ TL this week. I feel like I should have done more research on the subject before I went out and bought one but so far I love it! We had an LG FL for 12 years. It was still going but I hated having the door hang open in our tiny laundry/mud room. None of us could get by it so I didn't even look at getting another FL. I made up my mind and boldly went forward with the idea of getting an old fashioned machine. I will try the soak method especially for DH's white dress shirts. Good to know. DH doesn't want to monkey around with the machine so the thing stops whatever its doing every time I open the lid. grrrr I am still trying to get a handle on how much water to use and how much detergent. So I have to check each load and assess the situation. I hope it lasts a long long time and I hope I love it forever. The other reason I wanted a TL is because with quilting I need to soak and spin the batting. Our old LG did not have this option. I am looking forward to trying it out on that test soon as well.

Can you give me any guidance as to what a good detergent is and how much to use? The guide says to use HE and I noticed that some detergents now are made for HE and original old machines. So i am just not sure what to do. Thanks! I really enjoyed reading this thread.

• elcamino83
    8 years ago

mamap will give you the best advice, but I have a relatively new SQ TL (Aug. 2015) and I use whatever detergent I want. The HE advisory is for the Normal Eco function which I never use.

Also, if you check youtube, there are many ways to bypass the lid lift system. I do like my clothes to soak a little, so I lift the lid to stop mid-cycle. I also like to clean out my liquid detergent measuring cup in the machine's running water, so I will just reach behind the machine and press the level myself to allow water to continue to run.

I am still learning about machine. I have the electric version and there are a few of the cycle options that I have issues with, but overall, I find the machine much easier to use than my previous HE machine, and my clothes are cleaner (although at least half of the credit goes to mamapinky et al on the laundry forum for the excellent advice.

Congratulations on your new machine!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wsu, congrats on your new Speed Queen washer!! This is a great machine and I love it more today than the day I got it ( that sounds like something I should say to a lover lol) I have always had traditional top loaders and I was not to thrilled with what was on the market as far as traditional machines, so I bought the SQ.

As El said if you check youtube there's a way to fix your washer so it will continue working when you open it, it only requires a clothspin and about 10 seconds to put it in place.

Ok lets talk detergents haha. Tide is the Top of the Line in US detergents, in my opinion Tide with Bleach powder is the best on the US market for whites and lights. I'll tell you my procedure for whites ...if they are lightly soiled I use Hot water and Tide with Bleach, I let them agitate about 5 minutes than I shut the washer off and let it soak allll night, in the morning I resume where I shut it off at...now if the whites are really dirty and I mean dirty enough that its going to make the water look really soiled than I do a prewash, clothes are not going to get clean in dirty water.. I always use cool to luke warm on a prewash and only 1/2 the amount of detergent you would use for a wash..just run it thru the wash cycle and than let it spin, no rinse needed for this..than refill with hot water and detergent, agitate 5 minutes, shut off for a nights soak. Its easier for me to save my whites for nite which is why I do mine this way. But the enzymes in detergent become inactive after 4 hours and the sodium percarbonate (oxygen bleach) after 6 hours. This has worked well for me and my whites are dazzling. as for how much detergent to use..add about 1/4 cup at a time let agitate a minute and feel the water, it should feel slippery, if its not add a bit more until you have slippery water..this will vary from person to person depending on whether you have hard or soft water. Do you know if your water is soft or hard?? Also Welcome to the Laundry Room.

• georgect
    8 years ago

Paw...any update on your car?

Did you hear from the car wash place?

• wsu1
    8 years ago

Thank you Elcamino & Mamapinky. We do have a water softener. With the FL I would only add a tablespoon or two depending on the size of the load. I will do the feel test. Great information! Thanks so much.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    8 years ago

mamapinky0 -- those are my two issues with my SQ as well. I wish it would fill to the top. And, I totally agree about the handwash/delicate cycle -- it spends most the cycle just sitting there, not washing the clothes -- weird.

But, its' easy for my teenagers to do their own laundry -- that's what matters most!

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Stir: Just adjust your water level to fill full. It is easy with just a turn of a screw. Videos(you may have already watched) will show you how and talk you through--easy. You will enjoy it much better then. Handwash sounds fine. Even my front loader does that. Very little tumbling/agitating on that cycle. Use Perm-Press and put your speed on Delicates for a slow wash/spin without the soaks.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Huh..Sparky you've lost me...how do you put the Queen on perm press and the spin speed on slow..unless you talking about the SQ FL.

Stir before you adjust your water level...will it void your warrenty?

• sparky823
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the warranty. Just take note that it fills to like 3rd row of holes from top, then if warranty work is ever needed you can turn it back to the same spot before tech comes.

I was talking about the 542 model about the speed for delicate/perm press. I was thinking Stir had that model but maybe I read wrong. If so--sorry...

• wsu1
    8 years ago

I just administered the clothes pin thing. I won't yell DH. He doesn't do laundry anyway! The hot water hose kept leaking at the crimped part so I got that switched out all by myself :) I ran two loads with no leakage. Yay We are loving our new queenie.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Glad you like the Queen. Congrats!!!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Glad you like the Queen. Congrats!!!

• olychick
    last year

@katty perry mamapinky0 died several years ago. I don't know if there are others who know her model or if you can search these boards to see if she posted the model she purchased. Perhaps your "lovely name" link is spam; I am not clicking on it.

• ken c
    last year

Heck! I am sorry to hear bout mamapinky0, when I bought my SQ TL back in 2015, she and others - like Larsi (?) were big time posters here. I notice Larsi is missing too, hopefully not for the same reason.

• arkansas girl
    last year

She was a nice and helpful lady! I really do miss her here! :( One day I posted a question here about some laundry detergent, it wasn't very long ago. Well, I got ZERO replies and I thought to myself "if MamaP was here, she would have helped me!" :*(

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!