SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wchmu140

Poor grass health

wchmu140
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hey all,

I moved from New York City to Michigan and purchased a home and had sod put down. Being from the city ive never seen grass yet alone know how to care for it :D. The guy who laid the sod down set the sprinkler system for me and it did well the first year. I didnt fertilize before winter (amateur mistake) and then the next year the grass started showing signs of distress. I overseeded before going on a 2 week vacation and set the sprinkler system to water daily. When I came back it was looking very healthy but after a few months its back to square 1. Im not 100% sure what type of grass it is because I didnt ask because I didnt know the first thing about grass but from what i gather it is Kentucky bluegrass. The sprinkler system is set to run every other day and its set to run early in the morning 5 a.m. The grass that is suffering most is in areas where it gets the most exposure to sunlight. Grass that grows on the side of the house where it is mostly shaded all day is fine. There are clear distinctions between my neighbors and my lawn. Can anyone guess what im doing wrong? Im in over my head but I like to figure things out on my own instead of having someone come do it for me and leaving me clueless :D. Eager to learn. Thanks in advance!!!!

Comments (5)

• dchall_san_antonio
    8 years ago

You're not in over your head. You're in over your knowledge level. Fortunately the knowledge required is well below knee height, so it shouldn't be hard to get you back where you need to be.

Watering properly is the key to lawn care. There you go. One simple element. Here's how you do it. We call it deep and infrequent. Deep mean one full inch all at one time. Measure one inch by placing cans like cat food or tuna cans, around the yard and turning on your sprinklers. Time how long it takes your system to fill the cans. That will become your new watering time. In a few weeks you will unset the sprinkler timer and reset for that time. But before you can do that we need to discuss infrequent. Infrequent means once per week when the temps get into the 90s, once every other week with temps in the 80s, once every 3 weeks with temps in the 70s, and once a month with temps below 70s. But you can't just do that. Your grass has "learned" to be watered frequently. You'll need to go gradually to infrequency required to give your grass roots time to grow down deep enough to take advantage of the deep watering.

There are any number of ways to get to infrequent watering. Watering more deeply and less frequently now is the place to start. If you are watering every other day now, set it for every 3rd day and water to get 1/3 inch (from your can timer test). Do that for a week and then move to watering once every 5 days. Water the full inch and watch the grass carefully toward the end of the first 5 days. If it look stressed at 3-4 days, water again immediately, but do the full inch of water. Continue watching it like that and before you know it the grass will be going a full week (or 2) without needing a drink.

One thing you will notice is the soil will dry out completely at the surface. That is expected. As long as there is water down where your new deep roots are, everything will be fine with the grass. This dry surface soil is going to prevent many weed seeds from germinating. Weed seeds need several days of continual moisture, sort of like you're doing now with your watering every other day. If you deny the seeds that continual moisture, they cannot sprout. Of course Mother Nature has Her plans for your rainfall, but you can control what you can control.

If you need to reseed, NOW is the time to get hopping on that. Your window of opportunity is now through about mid September to get it done for next year. If you have Kentucky bluegrass you may not need it.

Mow at your mower's highest setting unless you are reseeding.

Fertilize on Memorial Day, Labor Day, and again after the grass stops growing but has not yet turned brown. Stay away from weed-n-feed products. If you need a fertilizer use a fertilizer. If you need to kill lots of weeds, spot spray with a liquid like Weed-B-Gone. The weed-n-feed products have several issues that you don't need to deal with if you just don't use them. Also if you watch TV in the early spring and see the advertising for seed and fertilizer, ignore them. Just wait to fertilize on Memorial Day to do it no matter what they guy in the newspaper or on TV says. They selling you products. If you fertilize early the grass uses up more root sugar than it would normally. Then by May the grass is exhausted of nutrients and requires an extra dose (great if they're selling you products). Once it awakens in the spring the grass is going to grow like it's on rocket fuel whether you fertilize or not, so just wait.

If you want to apply a preemergent herbicide, put it down when you first see the forsythia blooming. Forsythia is an early blooming plant that seems to be a good predictor of weed seed germination.

There you go. A crash course in the basics. It's relatively low hassle when you know what to do and what to avoid.

Slightly less basic is to use organic fertilizers. Organics work completely differently from chemical fertilizers. The difference you'll notice first is that they don't seem to do anything for 3 weeks after you apply. All you have to do to compensate is to move your fertilizer schedule ahead of what I gave you by 3-4 weeks. A subtle difference with organics is you don't have to worry about applying too much. Organics can't hurt the grass if you overapply. Feeding organic fertilizer will improve the overall biological health of your soil. Organic gardeners never complain about their soil looking tired, dried up, worn out, depleted, or unhealthy.

Hope that helps.

• wchmu140
    Original Author
    8 years ago

dchall_san_antonio, thanks for the advice. You are correct that I am having weeds coming up very frequently everywhere and im sick of going out there an pulling them. It makes sense that frequent watering encourages their growth. As i lower the frequency of watering, wont the weeds roots dig deep for water as well though? Also judging by the pictures, would you recommend re-seeding or do you think just changing the water schedule will do it? IF re-seeding is required should i just spread seed and be done with it or get top soil and throw it over? Also if it a watering issue that im having why is the sunlight playing such a major role on my grass's health?