SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

W10 upgrade from W7, backup or image for recovery of W7?

jerry_nj
8 years ago

My W7 64 bit uses about 75 GB of HDD, so I can not create an IMAGE on a 64 GB Flash Drive, but suspect I can make a BACKUP on that size Flash Drive. I have the DVD recovery disks made when I initialized my new Toshiba Notebook 5 years ago.

Some points to consider (my understanding)

1) Image will allow me to simply clear the troublesome W10 (one reason for recovery steps) and reinstall the W7 I had before, with all the W7 updates and applications and all the crap that may be the reason I have less performance than I recall when the notebook was new.

2) With just a Backup and the W7 recovery DVD I can reinstall the clean W7 (a plus, maybe something worth doing even if I want to keep W7) and use the Backup to piece by piece reinstall all my personal folders... taking it that Backup provides history but will require installing Firefox and Thunderbird anew.

3) On making a IMAGE is it possible to split a W7 IMAGE over two storage devices, say a 64 GB and a 32GB that I already have on hand? Perhaps one Flash Drive can contain The BACKUP, the other Flash Drive The old Installed W7 with all updates.

It is currently my plan to take the "Free" W10 update, I have put in my request. But, typing here I wonder if simply reinstalling the factory W7 and using a full Backup and a long time getting all the W7 updates downloaded and installed will make me a happy camper with W7 again.

Comments (26)