SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Runaway NDSTray.exe, time for W10 Upgrade?

jerry_nj
8 years ago

I have been here on the subject of upgrade and link only to note in this input I now have a WD 1.5T USB Hard Disk, so I'm equipped to Backup and Image to hearts content...that said the subject question suggests I may not want an Image of my W7 with what I call "Runaway NDSTray.exe"

I used Taskmanager to id NDSTray as the high use process, and shut it down...so I feel a little more safe being on-line now. If I continue to run Windows 7, advice::

1) Can I simply removed NDSTray (may be just a start up issue, but why now and not earlier? I browsed a bit on the web but got mostly sales pitches to run NDSTray tools, hate more "free" downloads, W10 notwithstanding :)

2) Is the best path forward to take my Windows 10 upgrade and just say goodbye to Windows 7, which as a minimum needs to be reloaded.. that's more work than W10, imo.

1. Given the current state of my Windows 7, I conclude I don't need to make a Image copy, Microsoft is providing one for 30 days in any case... I assume on their "cloud". That is, the current W7 installation "ain't very good".

4) But, I'll make a Windows Backup of W7, plus my choice of coping the much more than the default W7 backup list. That said, why not just copy all my W7 file system, all except the Windows stuff.

5) I still use an old desktop that runs on 64 bit architecture, called Palm... remember when Palm started the PDA revolution.. but got lost along the way? I still use it mostly for a memo file. Maybe I can transfer the Palm data to another application... subject for another discussion... wonder if W10 supports Palm Desk Top... not sure that W8.1 does as I've never installed it there, using it just on this, W7 machine.

If you've read this far, thanks for exploring my questions and I welcome tips on any one of my questions, including "go read.... link"

Looking to W10 with some apprehension. but think it is time to reinstall my current W7 if I don't upgrade. So, more pressure to got to W10.

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Extra Care Contractor, The Swiss Craftsman
    8 years ago

This is a Toshiba specific (and problematic [cpu hog]) non essential tray app.

Do note that some malware camouflages itself as NDSTray.exe.

You can disable it it the startup (HKLM)

• jerry_nj
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, I have used the Task Manager to terminate it, but I had trouble finding it listed in any "startup" list. I used "msconfig" to gain access to Start Up and didn't find NDSTray.exe.

On the Windows 10 side, I received the 1.5T Western Digital USB HDD, really small, hard to believe so much data can be stored in such a small space without creating a "black hole" Ha!

The 1.5T is formated NTSF so I went right to making an Image of subject W7 Toshiba. This took about a hour, size about 70 GB, small potatoes on the 1.5T storage. I then figure why not also do a customized W7 backup... the W7 backup remembers (can identify) that the backup it created on the Flash Drive isn't available... so now I have to figure out how to make W7 forget about an old backup it did. Welcome advice, but will search the web later.

I have multiple uses for the 1.5 T, one is the Toshiba W7, another is a Gateway W8.1, another is an XP. All of these want NTSF, still it seems like a good idea for me to partition the space to something like 100 GB for W7, 200 GB for W8.1, and 50 GB for XP. Then I would allocate something like 100 GB for reformatting by Linus so I can use that space for a boot device for Ubuntu, Xubuntu for the XP machine. I might as well split up the other NTSF into a couple other devices for future use.

I was disappointed to learn the Image has all the information buried under the Restore cloak. That is I couldn't find any way to use the file manager and look inside the Image for stuff, say My Pictures for an example.

So I open another folder and started copying all the "stuff" in W7 the I would like to simply access, oh yes, I also used W7 to create a Transfer which can be used to move from one computer to a new one. Or to a new OS, but I assume the Microsoft W10 upgrade will take the necessary steps to transfer my applications (those that work, will look up Palm Desk Top to see). Still, having lots of space I make a Transfer, it too cloaks the information below is administrative software.

We live in interesting times, old saying but more true with each passing year I observer after observing many passing years.

• mikie_gw
    8 years ago

If win 7 was used to backup & make an image, you can browse that image file by opening Disk Management . should be on the Action Menu... Attach VHD.. browse to the image.. to the larger byte vhd(x) and choose it. Then back in disk management assign it a drive letter. Then you should find you have a virtual drive letter that you can explore and see the whole C partition backup. copy files/folders if needed from there.