SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brettjbehrens

New homeowner, need advice on lawn care/maintenance

Brett B
8 years ago

Hello all! I am new to this forum and new to home ownership!

One of the things I really wanted when I thought about buying my first house was the perfect lawn... And of course, I didn't get that when I found the perfect house.

I've got a sprinkler system which is nice, and after replacing a few heads, it appears to be working well. Unfortunately, the previous home owners didn't really take care of the grass. Other than watering it occasionally to keep it somewhat green, they didn't do anything.

Lots of dead grass, lots of weeds, and lots of spots where it's pretty spotty.. Lots of dirt with a few blades of grass mixed in.

I'm located in Eastern Washington state so it's pretty hot and dry (especially this year) in the summer, so I haven't put any chemical on it really other than hitting it with some crab grass killer (which seems to be working) Other than that, I'm clueless. I've done lots of browsing and I don't know whether to fertilize, weed kill, thatch, power rake, aerate, water less, water more, etc. It's more complicated than I ever thought.

I've got some pictures of most of the problem areas and any advice as to where (and when, given the current hot and dry whether) to start would be GREATLY appreciated!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner