SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bengiswex

New homeowner - help needed with lawn rehab options

bengiswex
13 years ago

Hi everyone. Heres the setup: I'm a first-time homeowner in eastern MA and new to lawn-care. The house was on the market all last year and I believe the previous owners did not do any proper lawn care last fall (for example: left fallen leaves on the lawn all winter).

Currently the yard has many many small (less than 1 ft square) completely bare spots scattered around, a few browned spots, and everywhere the soil is very hard. I have been doing some online reading and it seems like aeration, top-dressing, overseeding and fertilizing could really help out. Everything I have read says to do this in late August/early September. I am planning on having a housewarming party in late August and would love for the lawn to be at least slightly rehabilitated by then, if thats realistic.

Is it worthwhile to do the aeration, seeding et al. right now? Or is it a bad idea to do it in summer? Is there another solution I should be looking at? Or maybe something to keep things presentable until fall when I do the full rehab?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Extra info: the front yard gets nearly full sun, the backyard gets very little sun, probably around 4 or 5 hours.

- James

Comments (2)