SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moreweedsthangrass

New homeowner, disaster lawn, organic advice

moreweedsthangrass
13 years ago

I recently purchased a house on Long Island (Zone 7A I believe my extension office says), and the backyard (2,500 sq. ft.) needed to be re-graded. Prior to the regrading, the grass was actually decent. After the regrading was done, seed and fertilizer were applied (not sure what kind).

At first, I was getting some nice patches of grass growing in, and was optimistic. I had applied some Ringer's Lawn Restore about 5 weeks after it was done too. However, now a couple of months later, the lawn is covered almost completely in crabgrass and some other interspersed weeds.

I'll be honest... from a distance, the thick lush green yard looks kinda nice, but up close it's a weedy mess. I'd like to get some "real" grass back there for the kids and family to enjoy for years to come. The yard will receive moderate traffic, from two young children and two small (10lb) dogs.

I mow high, and every now and then I toss some additional seed down in the hopes that it will overcome the weeds. Wishful thinking I'm sure. I've also contacted my extension office to have some soil samples done, and will post those results too.

So, my plan will be to basically do nothing right now, other than to keep mowing high. At the end of the summer I should reseed/overseed the entire lawn and fertilize. In early spring, I can apply corn gluten meal to prevent the weed seeds from germinating. I can then basically just keep deep watering and mowing high. In the fall, if the weeds have significantly dimished I can apply corn gluten again, if they haven't dimished I should repeat the same process.

Does that sound right? And, I have some questions if so:

* I've been mulch-mowing, but I've also read that bagging may help reduce the weed seeds. Which is preferred?

* When should I reseed and fertilize? I think I've read that the first frost will kill the weeds, so should I wait until then? I'm on Long Island, in zone 7A. My thinking is late August, but will the crabgrass have died by then?

* My backyard is pretty much full sun and my front yard is half full sun and half dense shade. I've been using Scotts Sun & Shade mix of seed (which contains a lot of Kentucky Bluegrass) and it hasn't done particularly well underneath a big tree. From my reading, should I switch to something more durable and shade tolerant? Perhaps tall fescue? Any recommended brands/blends? I've read good things about Lebanon ProScape Winning Colors Plus (28-54619) and one of the Lesco blends (059434), but am open to suggestions and where to purchase from.

* Should I continue to use Ringer's Lawn Restore, or is there something better?

* When in the Spring should I apply the corn gluten meal?

* One other side question. I don't compost (yet), but I do save my used coffee grinds, as I've heard they are good natural fertilizer. Can those be used in addition to the Ringers, or should I use them elsewhere?

Thank you again in advance.

Comments (3)