SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckylc1989

Organic advice for terrible new lawn

beckylc
18 years ago

We moved into our new house last fall. The lawn was graded and hydroseeded about mid-September with a "no-mow" mix of slow-growing fescues. (We ARE planning to mow it, but thought doing it less often would be good.) After it was seeded we got NO rain at all for an entire month, so spent hours every day moving the sprinklers around to try to keep it moist. We're on the edge of farm fields, so the wind made it really difficult. I don't know if our lawn looks so awful because we kept it too wet, not wet enough, or the hydroseeding was done poorly--but at any rate, we paid more than any of our neighbors and have the worst-looking lawn.

We're planning on overseeding in the fall, but figured we ought to do it now, too, or we'll have weeds growing in all the bare spots. Does that make sense? It's been a cold spring here with just a few warm days and the temperature isn't going over 60 for the next week. Is it worth the money to overseed with a slit-seeder in the near future? There are a lot of little flowering weeds the lawn guy says are annual mustards, and if we keep it from reseeding they'll eventually die off. We've fertilized once with the starter fertilizer the lawn guy told us to use, but would rather use something organic. I also have a source for completely-composted cow manure, if that would be best to use.

I'd be very appreciative of some advice; I don't know that I really trust the guys who originally did our lawn. I know they put some topsoil down, but you sure can't tell it to look at it now--there are just tons of rocks. In the first picture (back yard) the area above the hose will be killed shortly and seeded with grasses and forbs in the fall; on the top right is the lot next to us that is still unbuilt.

{{gwi:141664}}
{{gwi:141665}}

Comments (14)