SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Have you painted a bedroom a bold or deep color?

violetwest
8 years ago

and did you regret it?

Still struggling with colors for my dark, north facing bedroom. I'm on to "green" now, lol. But I worry that if paint it a saturated color, I'll eventually regret it.

Comments (62)

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

This would be beautiful, BM Norwich Brown

• User
    8 years ago

Yes have painted bedrooms and study in bold colors

no have not tired of any

• Related Discussions

Bedroom and Bedroom Closet Paint Question

Q

Comments (10)
    I need to change my response. I could have sworn that our master closet was the same color as the MB (SW Blonde) and I know that it was supposed to be, but today I looked at the closet and the walls and ceiling are both SW Dover White! My husband changed a lot of the paint colors on his own (GRRR!--he's afraid of color) and this is one change that I missed, but after thinking about it I'm glad that it is light color as we only have one small window in the closet so it would have been dark. We have 3 other walk-in closets and they all have SW Dover White walls and ceilings and don't match the rooms that they are attached to.
    ...See More

Should bedroom paint color be the same as adj. bath paint color?

Q

Comments (4)
    Okay, thanks! I have one son that wants his room his old room color, BM Cumulus Cloud. Unfortunately the granite in his bath is quite a bit more "yellowy" than Cumulus Cloud. Gallo Venizio or something... Hmmm... two shades of greige/beige okay? Just think it would look odd to paint a bath with cherry cabinets and a yellow-toned granite BLUE, but that's what he wants! Oh well...
    ...See More

If you have a blue bedroom, what color is attached bath painted?

Q

Comments (14)
    Our DD's old room is a Laura Ashley light blue, can't remember the exact color. The duvet, window treatments, etc are black & cream. Getting ready to paint the adjoining bathroom a creamy color. I already have purchased black, white towels for the bathroom w/ light blue shower curtain.
    ...See More

is pink color OK for the master bedroom pink color for master bedroom

Q

Comments (25)
    Yes, I think pink is a beautiful color for a master bedroom! The trick is picking the right pink and then balancing it with other elements that are not overly feminine. I love pink and brown together, or black. When choosing a grownup ink go to the brown section in your color deck. As you move up to the lighter colors you will see what I refer to as dirty pinks. These are softer, more pleasing pinks that men can love.
    ...See More
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Our last house we painted our bedroom guilford green. I wouldn't say it was exactly bold or deep. But I did get tired of it. I'm not sure why, because green is my favorite color.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I like neutral colors and shades of cream, but I allowed my younger daughter to choose the colors for her room when she still lived at home. She chose blue and green, very similar to the colors that tibbrix posted above. I haven't repainted because she still sleeps in that room when she comes home, and the paint is in good condition.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    8 years ago

your replies are giving me a boost of confidence. the photos that Butternet and theclose have posted are amazing. Whole house is painted yellow-beige color now.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I painted my old bedroom a deep marine blue and I loved it...found it very soothing, and I was in a north east corner.

• User
    8 years ago

I'm on the fence when it comes to dark colors. I like looking at them and did an accent wall in a bold color. It lasted about 6 months before I changed it. Could have just been the color itself but It wasn't for me. The great thing about paint is it's fairly easy to change. Try it and see, it's certainly easier than having to live with the what ifs.

violetwest thanked User
  • violetwest
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@ tibbrix -- I don't know! I keep waffling back and forth. I'm sad, I know.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

So here's what to do. Pick three colors. Get a sample pint of each. Paint one wall in each color, fully. Live with it for a week, and periodically do that framing thing with your hand where you frame a pic with your hands and look at just what's in the frame, being one color along with any trim, furniture etc., and that will tell you which color to go with.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    8 years ago

oh boy. Do you know how many sample pints I've already tried? Not actually painting on the whole wall though. As a novice painter, I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. But . . . I'm closer now than I was before, so thank all of you.

• Iowacommute
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have BM Nantucket Fog in my bedroom with a North and East facing windows. It is a wonderful color especially with natural light.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I want to go bolder. I keep thinking why not in the dining room, for example. It's a place that should be dramatic. I keep thinking of the fabulous TX-in-their-name poster who had a black dining room. There are others now that also look fabulous. Bold is good stuff!

tibbrix, do you think your Languid blue would be better in a brighter room? It's one of the many SW blues I have been considering. Here's my [favorite for an office[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/joni-spear-interior-design-traditional-home-office-st-louis-phvw-vp~80070), right now, Meditative. I also like Icelandic.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

If you have paint samples on a wall, take a hand held mirror with your back to the wall and look at the wall through the mirror....it will help frame the image and delete a lot of extraneous stuff so you get a better idea of what the room will look like. I learned this trick from flower arranging...you often can see balance better in the mirror. But I've found it especially helpful when selecting, say, wallpaper for a room.

violetwest thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

Iowacommute, interesting. The bedroom in which I have Nantucket Fog also has east and north-facing windows.

Violet, Annie's mirror suggestion is based on the same thing as my using the movie framing using your hands thing. You look at JUST the picture in the frame your hands make or in the mirror ,and as she says, you get a much better and fuller sense of what the color would look like overall because you don't have the interference of the current wall color.

Rob, I really don't know. This is also all such a matter of taste. I actually like the Languid Blue better at night (I love it at night) and in lower light. In brighter light, it takes on a cast I don't particularly care for. Not sure how to explain it. Not sophisticated enough for my liking.

The Meditative in your pic reminds me a lot of BM Nantucket Fog, which was a great choice for my guest room. I love blue bedrooms. I wish I'd done my room in BM Van Courtland Blue instead of the SW Languid. Love, love, love Van Courtland Blue. I tend to like more earthy and neural tones for rooms like offices. You're looking at blues. You might like the Languid Blue for an office, though, because it's not as "sleepy" a blue as the Meditative and Nantucket Fog, has a bit more energy in brighter light, which might be good in an office setting.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

That helps. Thanks!

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

yw.

• akl_vdb
    8 years ago

We had BM Night Train in our bedroom with a huge east facing window. I liked it, but it was dark. Now it's so refreshing in Revere Pewter. Our furniture/headboard actually stands out.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

I've had teal (in another house), Natural Wicker (light, creamy), a medium gray-blue, and (currently) Revere Pewter. The teal...well, I was very young then. I guess we liked it because we kept it for 5 years (then we moved). The blue only lasted maybe a year. I found it too dark and heavy and depressing. Having said that, a very similar color works really well in our dining room/library and I love it there. So for me, the lighter, more neutral colors are more comfortable for me in my bedroom. I also like the flexibility in changing bedding and accessories. If I didn't have self control, I could buy an entirely new bedding set every season because I'm always seeing something I love at Garnet Hill, Company Store, etc...

However, I fantasize about using Sleepy Hollow in my next bedroom, in my next house.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Sue, I really wanted to suggest Sleepy Hollow/Vintage Charm/ or lighter, Violet Pearl! Such pretty and unique colors for a bedroom. I think they'd be gorgeous, though.

Sleepy Hollow - gorgeous

Vintage Charm

Violet Pearl

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

I had the master bedroom at our other house painted a deep shade called watermelon. I adored it on the swatch but abhorred it on the walls. I couldn't wait to turn off the lights so I didn't have to deal with it. We now have tenants in the house and I know they don't care for the color either.

WTBS, I think bold colors can work well I just didn't choose wisely. I love to see a room in dark navy like Butternut posted.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    8 years ago

so, kind of a mix of opinions here. I'm so sorry to the board for bashing you over the head with this.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

my oldest had a very dark turquoise/teal when young with a wide black wallpaper border with brightly colored planets, etc on it which I thought really looked awesome and he loved it.

we had weimaraner in our previous master br which was medium deep.

I think deep colors are very cozy, although I currently love our light-med blue we have currently too!

• User
    8 years ago

Mine is painted SW Restrained Gold. I'll admit I've been recently considering repainting, not because it's too dark, but to freshen up. However, it will domino effect the room and I still like the bedding. The room is cozy to me.

*cheering* Go for the deep color!

• sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

for my daughters' room, they wanted SW dragon fruit for the ceiling and i can't remember the green for the walls, but its bright. kinda like lily pulitzer colors. we went with chocolate brown shades and carpet. came out great but oldest now wants walls re-done. says they are "stressing" her and its hard to fall asleep. she is in grad school and its really annoying her....lol....its been done for about 6years, so i guess its time for a change....other daughter is now in college....

anybody have any suggestions???? we were thinking of a greige, but trying to match the "dragon fruit"....ugh!!

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

sprtphntc, probably best to start your own thread. Provide pics of the rooms if you can, and at least info. on the natural light in the room, i.e.: east, west, north south facing windows...

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

violet, personally I wouldn't go dark. I think dark paint colors are good only as defining color, i.e.: small wall area, like in kitchens or powder rooms, or rooms with a LOT of windows and trim. A medium saturated color will be warm and wonderful and cozy at night in the artificial light of a lamp, but light and nice during the morning and day, when maybe you don't want dark and heavy. But of course, it all depends on personal taste, right?

• sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

yup your right tibbrix.... i will soon :)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    8 years ago

maybe I don't know what a "medium saturated color" would be. A green example?

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

The three I posted are medium, esp. the green and the blue.

LRV between, say, 30 - 60.

• theclose
    8 years ago

I consider my playroom (formerly the sunroom) a medium saturated color. BM Summer's Day. I didn't choose it (a pro did) and never would have (not bold enough for me) but I love it and it suits the room.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    8 years ago

tibbrix that green looks greyed down to me, but I know that color isn't true on monitors. And, I cannot find Behr LRVs listed anywhere, dangit.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

So, have you decided on green? And Behr? And do you want more of a yellow green, brown green, blue green, or gray green?

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Our bedroom is painted Valspar Iron Frost, which is only a little less dark than the SW Naval shown above. We love it. Our bedding is white and grey (white duvet cover, grey sheets and pillow cases), and the windows face mostly west.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    8 years ago

Whatever color you are considering, get a sample pot of the color and put it on a big piece of poster board or cardboard and hang it on the actual wall and look at it several times a day to see how the light influences it and what it looks like spread out. I have some rooms painted with dark colors and a more neutral color in hallways, big rooms. I like saturated colors in the right rooms. My master bath is done in a plumish color from SW that has almost cocoa undertones. Makes me smile when I look at it, even after a few years now. I will say though, even if you love a color, it will still need to be updated at some point because the color does not seem as true after a decade or so. My dining room is SW Barn and my tiny powder room is in a deep blue.

My boys have a north facing bedroom and the color of blue that we put in there is light because we chickened out. It is so very blah, we need to find a new color for it.

Rob, my office is languid blue. I like it. The next step for me in it will be to add some plum colored accents (I hope to attack the filing cabinet with a can of spray paint soon).

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I think this is a nice Behr green for a bedroom: Behr Meditation Time

• texanjana
    8 years ago

Our bedroom is BM Rosemary Spring, and I love it. To me, it looks darker than this on our walls.

• just1beauty2you
    8 years ago

If a room wants to be dark let it and celebrate it. I did and haven't turned back to a light colour. As of now, my bottom portion of bedroom walls are black and my living room and dining room are wrought iron. The dark colour allows the eye to focus on main pieces, like art work, while allowing ugly pieces to hide in the shadows.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Ooh, like that Rosemary Sprig too. Paint is always darker once up on the walls.

Texanjana, any chance you can put a pic of your BR up for Violet?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    8 years ago

some nice choices here. Current thinking is a median brown or green. Must have yellow undertone. Behr Marquee Everglade (paint chip) looks fantastic next to my counters. We'll see.

• pamghatten
    8 years ago

I painted my North/West facing bedroom in SW Blue Bauble - it's really pretty. They over-estimated the amount of paint I would need, so I have a gallon to take with me to my next house when I find it, and paint my bedroom there.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

"Medium brown or green"?? That would be either the Behr Meditative or the BM Rosemary Sprig, I think. Beautiful colors. Personally don't care much for the Everglade color. Kind of diarrhea-ish?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ha!

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    8 years ago

Not tired of it yet. One wall is covered with coordinating Scalamandre fabric.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I apologize, Violet. I shouldn't have said that. Especially since a color that doesn't look right on a chip can be just gorgeous on a wall.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    8 years ago

nah, you're completely entitled, and have been so helpful to my clueless self

• texanjana
    8 years ago

Here's our master with the Rosemary Sprig. That's Eucalyptus Leaf on the ceiling. It's quite a bit darker.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    8 years ago

yes. definitely green for the bedroom; white trim; brown/natural accents. Probably a bright/medium yellow toned spring, lime, to acid green--a happy, lively color. Looking around my home, I have many accessories in this color range, as well as being prominent color outside. Definitely not a greyed, pastel, sage, or forest green.

@ Tibbrix; I think you're right about that color, I looked at it again. The next deeper on the color chart works better.

Will be looking for more natural and wood accents, and possibly a medium brown for the smaller bedrooms.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Oh, love that Rosemary Sprig.

Violet, I'd go with the BM Seedling.

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

Paint colors I like best are darker ones, even the color that I didn't really like - but was perfect with the bathroom tile; would do that same color again. The lighter colors not so much, wish I went darker with them.

Seems the lighter color have to be spot on. For darker colors there seems to be a greater margin of error. Doesn't make sense to me, but that is what I found. JMHO