SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

I (badly) need some advice from flower gardeners.

Alisande
8 years ago

I created my first perennial bed when my youngest child turned 4 (1982) and was passionate about my flower beds for decades after that. In the front yard I had a 50' border alongside the vegetable garden, a 30' bed parallel to it across from the stone path to the house, and a 50' bed perpendicular to these, running alongside the dirt road. All were fairly wide.

I never tried to plan the property or design a garden; I took a more casual approach, but the result made me happy--and caused people to slow down and stop to talk about the flowers.

After my daughter died and my husband's health failed, I stopped cold. It's amazing how quickly weeds moved. But a few years later I went back to my gardens, using a shovel to dig out the wild blackberries, thistles, and grass. The beds weren't exactly restored to their former glory, but I added shrub roses and lots of new iris.

Then about 5 years ago a groundcover weed called germander speedwell arrived on my property, and that was the beginning of the end. The stuff was impossible for me to control, and it smothered everything in its path. Coupled with this was a dramatic reduction in my energy and stamina, very probably caused by a combination of my age and the many (11 that I know of) tick bites I've received over the past 3 or 4 years.

I realized I couldn't keep up with all the gardens, so I reluctantly shut down the one bordering the vegetable garden, giving away many of the iris and other plants, and moving what I could to the one bordering the road, which seemed to be doing okay at the time. I created a patch of zinnias and sunflowers of all heights in front of the vegetable garden, and that was a fun showstopper.

But nothing's doing well now. Germander speedwell has total control, and it's been joined by some other difficult weeds, including grasses I can't even dig up. I gave up on the sunflowers. Most of the front yard has turned into an eyesore, except for some paniculata hydrangeas here and there and a couple of rugosa roses. I'm thinking the only thing I can do is salvage what I can and mow the rest down. It won't even look decent mowed (those mounds of grass like thin steel, for instance), but it'll be better than it looks now--and it shouldn't harbor ticks.

But then what do I do with what I save? There's a Festiva Maxima peony planted maybe 100 years ago, for one thing, and some of my favorite monardas and irises. It might be smart to give up flower gardening entirely, but I really don't want to do that. I miss it, and I miss the way it made my property look. But I want to be realistic. The weeds are not going to go away, and I'm not going to get younger and more energetic.

Would a raised bed or island be the answer? Do people have raised beds to prevent grass, etc., from encroaching on their plantings? Do you have any other ideas for me? I've thought about this situation so much that I'm not thinking productively about it anymore.

Sorry this is so long! Thank you.

Comments (25)