SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

New home - need advice on some smaller flowering trees

Karolina11
10 years ago

Hello everyone!
Completely new at this forum - I am usually a perennials and roses type of gal. However, our bid on a new house on three acres just got accepted so I am in need of a game plan. Currently I am used to gardening on a quarter of an acre occupied by two norway maples and two cherry trees. My new home, if everything goes well, is also in central Pennsylvania and zone 6b but instead of clay I will have something called chenango gravelly loam. From what I can read I should have no drainage issues and it should be quite fertile as it is the type of soil that our corn fields a few blocks away grown in. I will be doing a soil test once we move in mid-July but this soil should be acidic in nature.

I have never ever planted a tree and there is quite a lot to take in and I am doing that currently. Once we move in, I will obviously prepare the beds and I understand trees are best planted in the fall/spring like most plants. If I choose to plant in the fall, am I talking when it gets colder like September or when everything loses its leaves like November? I would prefer to plant in fall in case we have another spring like the one we currently had - ground was too hard to dig in until almost May and then temperatures were hot! However I need some guidance there.

Second, I need some tips on selecting trees. I have included the below aerial view of the property. As you can see, it is currently surrounded by large evergreens of some sort which means I would be planting trees in the middle. My main purpose in planting trees is to get some shade to be able to plant some of my favorite shade perennials as currently most of the lot is pure afternoon sun. Secondary, I love the look of flowering trees.

Thus if anyone can comment on the below list of trees with a yay/nay for the above described zone/soil combination. I need to pick just a few so need to narrow the list. I also would love specific cultivar suggestions - I love distinct leaf color and I understand some of these trees can be quite large so any smaller cultivars I should look for would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the current list -
Almond tree
Fringe tree
Magnolia Tree
Redbud
Flowering dogwood
Golden Chain Tree
Carolina silverbell
Hawthorne
Japanese Maple
Serviceberry
Purpurea Tricolor Beech
Dwarf ginko (this one is for its leaves)

Also, is there a red leaved smaller flowering cherry?

I have searched through the forum for some of these but any helpful links would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you tons for all of your help! If anyone here frequents the conifer forum, expect a similar post there as that is another area my knowledge is lacking in.
Karolina

{{gwi:366170}}

Comments (11)