SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juudyshouse2012

Advice on smaller flowering trees- Kousa Dogwood or Crabapple

juudyshouse2012
17 years ago

I live in North Bend on some land and am going to plant two ornamental flowering trees one on each side of my front entryway. I had planted Yoshino Japanese Cherry trees, but they started to grow so big that I realized they were too large for the area. I moved them to a better spot and now need to replace them with something smaller, up to 20' or a very slow growing larger tree. I am thinking of the Kousa Dogwood or flowering crabapple tree. We have lots of deer and elk that brouse the area. I use Bobbex and Plantskydd and it seems to work pretty good, (as long as I use it in time. :) What about the crabapple tree? I've heard that they are prone to insects and diseases. Does anyone have experience with this? Or if you have any other suggestions, I'd be open for that as well.

In each of the beds I'm putting the trees, I'm also considering complimenting the area with a hardy fuschia or a PeeGee Hydranga tree. The beds are fairly large, probably about 20'x 25' for one and 25'x 35' for the other. The fuschia and peegee would go at the far corner away from the center flowering tree. I already have some other smaller evergreen shrubs in the beds like Birds Nest spruce, abelias, and dwarf nadinas.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Judy

Comments (18)