SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobby1973_gw

Kousa Dogwood Loooking Sad :(

bobby1973
9 years ago

Hi folks - I'm hoping that someone can provide me some feedback as to what on earth is going on with my new Kousa Dogwood. It's an 8' B&B tree, which I planted towards late May (roughly 6 weeks ago). Since it wasn't that hot during that time, I watered it every other day for about 5 minutes. I normally would do it for 20 - 30 minutes, but I'm living in a new construction home and as you can imagine the soil is pure clay. Therefore the berm/basin that I built around the tree trunk would overflow with water after about 5 minutes. Nevertheless the tree seemed to be doing great. I began to notice that each week, the drainage was improving because the berm would hold water for longer periods of time. About 2 weeks ago is when I first noticed the foliage begin to brown, droop, and get crispy. The leaves would easily fall off their branches when I lightly ran my fingers through them. I naturally assumed that the tree was being underwatered and maybe showing signs of stress due to the 90+ degree weather we've been having here in Maryland. So I began watering it every day for 20 minutes at a stretch. The photo that I attached was taken yesterday and this is the worst that I have ever seen the tree look. Now I'm not sure if I'm under or over-watering it. Your thoughtful advice/assessments would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Bobby

Comments (14)