SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Magnolias, Malus, Dogwood... advice and suitability???

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

I cross posted this on Trees, hope that is OK!

I've spent hours on the web and in my gardening books, and can't find the more detailed answers I'm looking for. Hoping someone here can help, as well as give me some general advice.

I am landscaping the front and back of our home this spring. At the moment I am concerned with foundation groupings. The house is a single-story ranch, and I have two spots I'd like something fairly tall and that flowers at some point.

Zone 5, coastal southern Maine. We're in a dip, protected well from winds. Front of the house has SE exposure but a line of tall evergreen trees 50'+ away to the South blocks more sun in winter than in summer. This spot gets 6+ hours morning sun in summer.

Back of the house has W exposure, and again a line of evergreens to the south blocks lower winter sun more. At the depth of winter it probably does not receive 6 hours sun, but does get very hot direct afternoon sun much of the year.

Ideally I would like something 10-15' tall and 8'-10' wide for the front, and it could be wider and shrubbier (8'-15' t & w) in the back.

Other considerations:

Faster growing is better.

As low maintenance as possible. (Not susceptible to a lot of common diseases, like powdery mildew, if possible.)

Fall color and winter fruit would be great!

Cost is a concern.

I've been thinking about magnolias of various types, crabapple or some other flowering fruit tree (edible fruits would be cool but we already have a little orchard started elsewhere), or maybe one of the more tree-formed dogwoods...

Thanks so much for any input or recommendations you may have! It's overwhelming and the dollar amounts are so high, I feel lost!

Stacey

Comments (13)