SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Outdoor canning???

beesneeds
8 years ago

Ok, so I killed one of my two big burners on my stove while canning... really killed it, like burnt the outlet to a crisp. I did this while canning last year, and still haven't been able to get it fixed. So yeah, living on three burners sucks.. but is doable for small batch canning and regular living. I'm actually learning to really love small batch canning.

However, tomato canning season is coming up and that is going to require some big batch canning again. Like big ole canner to fit all the quart and pint and a half jars... and be able to do a full day or three worth of canning, lol. Plus the big ole kettle to keep my crushed tomatoes hot for the hours of processing.

I'm kind of thinking of doing some outdoor canning.. My husband owns a large outdoor crab boil setup- big stand with a burner that hooks into a propane tank so you can put a giant 10 gallon pot on top. He uses it for brewing, but I figure I can use that for my canner setup. After all, if he can brew 10 gallons at a time, that has got to be sturdy enough for my 6 gallon quart jar canning pot, right?
For my tomato pot, I'm thinking of using our smaller grill- it's the size of a double burner camp stove, and should fit my 4 gallon or 5 gallon stock pot nicely.

Anyone else ever do outdoor canning? I'm thinking it would be nice to not heat and steam the living beejeebers out of the kitchen for days.

Comments (5)