SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

On the importance of skin checks

Bunny
8 years ago

I'll cut to the chase:

On Monday I had a small melanoma on my calf removed and yesterday my doc gave me the thumbs up. Got it all. I am so very grateful.

I am 70 and grew up in California. Spent a lot of time at the beach and poolside getting the darkest tan possible. We all did. It was the look. We later learned about skin cancer and the aging effects of all that sun, grew wiser. But the damage has been done. All that sun years ago? Time to pay up.

My mom had some skin cancers removed later in her life and I always thought it was amazing that it wasn't also happening to me.

Every annual checkup my primary doc does a skin check. All the ugly bumps and rough patches? Oh, they're nothing. Last year she asked me about a small, innocuous-looking mole on my inner calf. Had this long? I honestly couldn't say. Trust me, it was small and looked like nothing. She said, let's keep an eye on that.

A few weeks ago was my annual checkup. I reminded her she wanted to check the mole. To me, it hadn't changed in a year. She took photos with a see-all camera and sent it to Dermatology (Kaiser). In a couple of days Dermatology told me to make an appt. for a biopsy. I went right in and the dermatologist "shaved" it off and sent it in. About 9 days later, derm calls me to say, well, the bad news is it's melanoma; the good news is it's early and small and we should be able to get it all.

A few days later I'm at Plastic Surgery and he's taking a healthy little chunk out of my calf. I told him, get it all, I do not care what it looks like afterwards. He looked like Jimmy Fallon and we had a nice chat during the procedure.

Bandages are off and it doesn't look too bad. Like a nip from a tiny shark. :)

So, my friends, if you made it this far, I want to remind you to get your skin checked when you have your annual exam. The scariest part of this mini ordeal is that the spot was so innocent and harmless looking. It did not look like evil melanoma.

And don't forget the sunscreen!!

Comments (5)