SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anne_marie_alb

Cat with a small, under skin, 'mass' -Need advice

Anne_Marie_Alb
15 years ago

10 days ago I felt a pea-sized 'mass' at the corner of my cat's right eye. It is under the skin, nothing visible on skin itself, at less than a 1/4" from the top corner of her eye. I obviously don't know when it appeared. It is pure luck I felt it. It is firm, but moveable (is this worse than if it did not move?).

Our new vet (took her in this Monday) would like to simply take it out. She thinks a needle aspiration to check out for malignancy might cause cancer (if it is cancerous) to spread. Then she would analyse this mass.

This is a 12 and a 1/2 year-old calico who has always been healthy. She has been with us for just over 12 years. Obviously surgery (especially that close to eye and brain) scares me, but at the same time I just don't know if it's necessary. Last year she had a small 'wart' along back and cytology showed nothing malignant. It is still there, same size. I took her to another vet because I did not feel comfortable with the other one.

I simply can't opt for surgery/removal that quickly... Vet suggested applying warmth to this mass twice daily , and see if it has any effect after a week. Have been worried about this, but will start tonight.

This cat has had a few fights (nothing in last months) with our 2 new family members. We were always there to intervene, and check for any 'scratches' (usually on nose). Could it be related to a scratch I did not detect (this is the black side of her face, hard to see skin)?

No changes in her appetite, no weight loss. I might take her back to other vet (he only saw her for one year, as we are new to area) just for a second opinion.

Would very much appreciate any advice,

Anne-Marie

Comments (15)