SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbiep_gw

Recommendations for brands of dog food for dogs with skin allergy

debbiep_gw
16 years ago

Hi,I'm looking for advice on dog foods for dogs with skin allergies.While her(lucy/basset) allergy seems to be not food related I'm considering changing what she eats.The vets don't think its food related,more of a contact dermatitis.Her stomach has a rash which gets very bad once she comes in contact with the ground/grass,because of this I try to keep her off the grass so her outside time is limited.I cook her food which is ground turkey,rice,green snap beans,pasta,carrots.She does get a small portion of dry dog food as a snack at night.Its Nutro lamb/rice.Also they eat Iams small dog treats.She also ate the raw diet for a year and a half and it didn't help the itching/licking either.She has been on predisone since late July,10mg every other day and hydroxyzine some to.Predisone helps a little in keeping her comfortable for the day she takes it.I hope that she will not always have to take it.I'm hoping the tractor supply will have a food that will work if not I'll have to travel quite a ways for dog food as I live in a rural area.I'm sure that allergy testing will be recommended by someone but thats not a option here.I think I have tried everything except switching foods though I do watch what they eat.Any recommendations?I would switch gradually.Thanks in advance..Debbie

Comments (16)