SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

My DH Just (Literally) Saved My Life!

LynnNM
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Thank goodness my sweet husband takes watching out for me seriously! Recently he found a suspicious mole on my back. It was small (less than 1/4") and right below where my bra strap crosses my back. It was flat, never hurt or itched, I had no idea it was even there! But, when DH was again checking my back for me, he saw that it was starting to have irregular edges and had 2 or 3 darker dots on it.

I had it taken off and biopsied right away, and it came back as a MALIGNANT MELANOMA !

If he hadn't insisted on checking me where I can't see myself, like my back, it would have been a long time growing before I'd found it myself. And, by that time it most likely would have metastasized and then killed me! But, the biopsy thankfully showed that all the margins were clean and it hadn't metastasized. I am beyond lucky ! And very, very grateful to my husband.

So why am I posting this here? Not for sympathy, because the lesion is gone and has not spread. I'm OK . . . now! I'm posting this here because it is so, so important that we all routinely get checked for possible skin cancers. Educate yourself, if you haven't already, as to what things you should watch out for. And do NOT put off getting anything suspicious checked by a doctor immediately. Especially if it shows signs of being a possible malignant melanoma like mine was. And have a family member or friend check your back for you. I'm posting a photo of a malignant melanoma that is not mine, but is very similar in how mine looked. Irregular edges and darker spots on it.

This has shaken me to my core, but I am ok. And, yes, because of this one, I now have to be followed by a dermatologist for the rest of my life, just in case another pops up. My hope is that it gets your attention to check yourself routinely, as well. Bad things do happen to good people, like us all. We all need to be proactive when it comes to our health!

Comments (31)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio