SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

What might be a weird canning question?

beesneeds
8 years ago

So over the weekend I was able to get away from my own garden and canning, lol.. and able to drop in on a friend. She was in the middle of doing some canning, go figure.

Anywho, she was pickling some beans. And I was helping out since I was just sitting around anyway..

And she pulled out a small batch of 4 pints of dill beans.. and checked the rings after pulling them out to see how tight they held after boiling. As she was doing so, one of the lids came off the jar.. she was kind of like, oops, about it, and just cranked down the ring again.

I was all WTF? Are you really going to just re-tighten the ring and let that sit?

And she said, sure, if the heat is there and it pings, it stores just as well as all the other jars- if it don't ping, I know to toss it into the fridge.

I was kind of freaked out by that, but she told me I've eaten jars of her goods that have done the same thing before- pickled stuff that sealed up after pulling out of the hot water bath.

So my weird question is.. does this happen to anyone else? I mean, I just let my jars sit with the rings on till they all ping, and don't mess with them at all. If you do mess with your rings, what do you do if a lid comes up while you are messing with it? Pull it off for the fridge, or let heat do what it will and assume it's shelf stable?

Comments (6)