SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter

A weird customer service question- thoughts?

beaglesdoitbetter
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Twice in the past year, from separate companies, I've had some customer service issues w/ companies I've ordered from.

In one instance, I placed an order for items that were around $6,000, was charged immediately, got part of my order, had to wait more than a year(!) for the rest (although they did give me a loaner) AND I had to chase them down aggressively to get the rest of the order (it was part of a matched set of furniture).

In another, I ordered an item ($1300) and the item was supposed to ship 1.5 weeks ago, it didn't and then was supposed to ship today... I had to call repeatedly to find out what was going on, and had to leave repeated messages to try to get a tracking number, which I still don't have (they didn't actually return my calls... just finally answered after repeated calls)

Both of the people I was dealing with at these small companies had excuses related to serious illnesses. They both acted as if I was in the wrong to be upset about their non-responsiveness and the delays, questioning why I couldn't be more sympathetic or understanding when the items weren't sent, when they didn't respond, etc..

I'm wondering what others think of this. I mean, I do feel badly for people who are ill or who have seriously ill family members... but at the same time, how far is my sympathy supposed to extend to people I don't know?

Am I not supposed to get annoyed and demand acceptable service? I feel like if they cannot manage their business interests, they should discontinue taking orders and/or get a fill-in person. But I'm wondering if I"m a bad person for not being more "understanding "as they both seemed to imply.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH