SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Info about Viking oven -- Good Customer Service

plllog
13 years ago

There are a lot of gripes about Viking, so I thought I should post about my experience with one of their product support people. I e-mailed a question via the Contact Us on the website and was answered promptly by a real person, not an operator in another country using a script rather than real knowledge. She then, again promptly, answered my follow up questions.

I seriously question their oven design, but had an excellent experience with the Product Support.

The oven: It looks good on paper, except there's this little thing in the user manual where it says that the conventional bake element is supplemented (or some such word) with heat from the broiler. Huh? This is why I wrote. The answer is that like many an oven the Viking uses the broiler to bring the oven to heat. However, there is no way to turn off this feature for a slow heat (used for delicate baking with yeasts, starting in a cold oven.) Additionally, when one opens the door to tend to what's baking (add, brush, stir or whatever), if the oven cools a bit the broiler may back on to raise the the temperature.

It's possible that one could do the same kind of baking using the True Convection only, but I wouldn't want to guess. Generally, convection isn't the best for this kind of dough, but at least the heat would be gentle.

CONTROL!!!! Please, put whatever idiot-proof and green features you want in the ovens, but let the people who want to make the oven work the way they want it to override. It's the Apple-ization of ovens. Doesn't matter what you want to make, just let the oven do it it's own way and forget that you wanted anything different.

Sigh.

But it's a very nice looking oven, with knobs that someone with limited sight could use, and the Product lady was very helpful.

Comments (17)