SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
handust

I hate having a cleaning service - is that weird?

Lisa
13 years ago

I've never posted in this forum before, used to post a bit in Kitchens back when we were doing a renovation. Came back to look into some cleaning tips and just to see if I am the only one who feels like I do.

I absolutely detest having a cleaning service, but I seem to be in the vast minority. Over the years I have tried different types of cleaning services -- individuals that came highly recommended, big commercial services, small business owners who clean but also employ a handful of people. While there is no denying that when the house is actually cleaned nicely for you, it feels wonderful and certainly frees up time, I am finding over and over again that the trade-offs of having cleaning people in my home just may not be worth it to me.

I have never, ever had a single cleaning crew who has not broken something, often several "somethings". Candles, vases, other knick-knacks -- they seem to be like bulls in a china shop, just bulldozing their way through trying to get the job done with no care taken whatsoever of what they are handling. One cleaning crew completely doused my bathroom in order to clean the floor -- literally spraying the shower sprayer onto the floor. It leaked through the floor, down into the ceiling and leaked all over the dining room table, temporarily shorting out a ceiling speaker. They sprayed Windex on my precious grand piano (on which NO cleaners are to be used, which I tried to tell them, but with the language barrier it clearly wasn't understood). This past week they decided to use my vacuum instead of theirs, and within 15 minutes had completely broken my $500 Dyson that had worked perfectly for six years.

Next, they are inconsistent. Stupidly on my part, after a two year hiatus (during which I did things myself), I decided to hire back the bathroom-floor-dousing crew, in part because they are so nice and because I have a disabled son who throws a lot of physical temper tantrums, often causing messes and damage. It is hard enough just to clean up his messes, I literally couldn't get to the day to day cleaning. This crew is nice, and relatively inexpensive for our area. After their initial mistakes previously, they had seemed to get on the ball a bit more. However, this time out has been atrocious. The owner came herself for the first time or two, then started sending different people every week, most of whom don't speak more than a word or two of English. Although we were supposed to have an established time of between 12-1:00 on Thursdays, they show up any time between 12:00 and 3:30, which means they end up staying into the evening, totally messing up our dinner schedule. Because different people show up, they all clean differently, using different cleaning solutions, some doing better than others. This past week, the upstairs didn't get mopped or dusted at all. The downstairs was "mopped", if you can call it that, but there was still large milk drops on the floor (my son had spilled some milk, and I left it as a test to see if they would bother to clean it up. They didn't.)

And to top it off, I can't deal with the invasion of privacy. The woman owner loves to organize, and the first time they came I wasn't quite prepared to have her deal with anything upstairs other than the bathrooms. I told her NOT to do the bedrooms, just the bathrooms. Several hours later, when I realized they were still upstairs, I went upstairs to see that she had taken it upon herself to completely dismantle my bedroom (which we had temporarily been neglecting as a junk room until I could organize things myself). They had completely emptied all the cabinets and drawers in our master bathroom, pulled things out of our master closet/dressing room, and our bedroom nightstands, etc. Everything I own, private or otherwise, had been rifled through, "organized", and put back in whatever way SHE deemed appropriate. I was so stunned, embarrassed and pissed that I just left the room, as the damage had already been done. They threw out things that I needed, they put things like my lotions and tampons under my husband's sink, and it took me 30 minutes to locate my blowdryer the next day because they put it in the BACK of the cabinet under my husband's sink UNDER boxes of other things that they threw together.

They are so concerned with things "appearing" neat, that if anything is laying out on a counter or table, they hide it. It then takes us forever to find things again, as there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to where they stuff things; they just want it to look good on the outside when they leave. Once they stuffed a rental movie from Blockbuster into a seldom-used drawer of cocktail napkins. It took us days to find the DVD and cost us late fees. We never know, when we can't find something, whether we misplaced it ourselves of if the cleaning ladies hid it.

I want to get rid of these people in the worst way, but I did have a very hard time keeping up with things when we had no one. Part of me says that it's better than nothing, but I have to wonder. I end up having to go around touching up everything they didn't do or only did half-a$$ed. One week they clean out the microwave, then they don't touch it again for weeks. Their mopping is the worst I've ever seen. And they annoy the crap out of me by talking and asking me a million questions about where things go, does this look clean enough, etc. Part of me wants to just leave when they're here, but then God knows what they would do or wouldn't do.

The obvious answer would seem to be to hire someone else. But I have had several other services, many highly recommended by discerning friends. They were all awful. I assure you that I am the furthest thing from a demanding, high-maintenance type -- my standards are honestly not terribly high. In our area, everyone ... EVERYONE has a cleaning person and would think me crazy for doing it myself. I just don't know if I will ever be able to find one that suits me. All I want is to have the same person or people come each week so that I don't have to worry about inconsistency, for them to be able to speak basic English, and not break or hide things.

I am about ready to accept that cleaning services just aren't for me. I've been getting more and more on a modified FlyLady regimen of my own design and am beginning to think that no one will ever do as good a job as I do. Yet people make me feel weird about NOT wanting a cleaning lady; most say they would do anything to have one, or would sooner lose a limb than their cleaning lady.

Is anyone else like me? Does anyone else PREFER to not have a cleaning service, even if it's within your reach? Sounds silly to be so befuddled over this, but I'm really beside myself about it. The broken vacuum was just about the last straw.

Comments (16)