SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Cheap shower faucet repair now + eventual bath upgrade - advice pls

Debbie Downer
8 years ago

My tenant has a cheap clawfoot- type faucet that comes out of the wall - with riser and showerhead mounted to the wall - a cheap piece of junk I know - water is spraying out of the connection between the riser and faucet and every now and then the washers (yes washers) have to be replaced.

At first I thought I would replace the entire unit but at the low end of claw tub faucets there is just this same stupid faucet and the same chronic problems - the threads of the riser tube apparently is not really made to fit the faucet and the manufacturers don't freakin care to correct the defect.

Was considering a Barclay claw tub faucet from Home Depot for a couple hundred dollars but apparently - same stupid problem - riser that doesn't really fit the faucet.

Have plans to redo entire bathroom in 3-5 yrs, so spending many hundreds of dollars on a new faucet now doesn't make sense UNLESS its one I can use in the upgraded bathroom (will do a 4 x 6 tiled walk in shower.) I have seen some kinda cool industrial style wall mounted showers for a few hundred dollars but its shower head only - no faucet - wouldn't you want to have a faucet option even in a walk in shower - say you wanted to fill a big container - for a foot bath or bucket for mopping floor or whatever.

And I wonder - do I ultimately want to do a shower faucet with claw type plumbing (3 1/2 inch centers) or will I want something more standard?

Any ideas for any particular model that would work for current situation and future?

In the meantime what can I do to keep this one functioning - would plumbers putty or glue be a better more leakproof fix?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations