SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
graysoncarr

Are these kitchen cabinet upgrades worth it?

Grayson
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

In a new home my wife and I are having built, the standard cabinets have the following specifications from what I can tell by looking at other houses already under construction in the neighborhood. Now, I don't know much about cabinets, so forgive me if I don't use the proper terminology.

- Built by Kountry Wood Products

- 1/2 inch particleboard cabinet box sides

- 1/2 inch MDF shelves

- Standard overlay

- Flat drawer fronts

- Solid wood drawer boxes with dovetail joints

- Cheap epoxy coated side mount drawer slides

- Maple doors and drawer fronts

The style we want is white shaker style. Now, some of the issues I have with the standard cabinets. Some of the doors are warped, so much so that the center of the door hits the cabinet face before the rubber stops in the corners, making a loud bang when closing. The center piece in some of the doors feels a bit loose and sort of rattles around when you knock on it or close the door, giving them a cheap feeling and sound. Finally, I really hate those cheap drawer slides. I have had them in every apartment and a lot of them end up sliding very poorly eventually or even coming off the tracks. The builder did say that the issues with the warped doors and loose center pieces can be fixed, but I'm skeptical about that and feel that brand new cabinets shouldn't need fixing.

The builder does offer two higher level cabinet upgrades. The first is $6,300 and comes with a PureStyle laminate finish, and the second is $8,400 and comes with a painted finish. I'm pretty sure I don't want a laminate finish, but I'm considering the $8,400 upgrade because I want some cabinets that I'm happy with and last me for at least 20 years. Ripping out and replacing cabinets later sounds extremely expensive and disruptive, and is something I want to put off as long as possible. But, I'm not sure if what I'm getting is really $8,400 better and worth it. Here's what is different as best I can tell from just inspecting the upgraded cabinets myself:

- Built by Diamond Cabinetry

- Oddly, the model home with the upgraded cabinets had 1/2 inch plywood cabinet box sides, but another house with the upgraded cabinets still had 1/2 inch particleboard cabinet box sides. So I'm assuming the worst, that I would still get particleboard.

- Thicker 3/4 inch shelves

- Full overlay

- Smooth bottom mount drawer slides with full extension and soft close

- I didn't notice any warping issues or loose door center pieces in the house I looked at with these

Soo, is that really worth $8,400? I mean, it's a different brand, so it's sort of hard to compare, but they do feel more solid and better made despite using similar quality cabinet boxes. But it still gives me pause.

A couple more things I might should mention. Looks wise, the standard cabinets actually look pretty good (I uploaded a couple pictures of them in another house that's being built), and it's not obvious to me that the upgraded cabinets are of higher quality by just looking from across the room. Also, I upgraded to Cambria quartz countertops, so it feels like they would pair better with some decent cabinets, at least it's one thing that crossed my mind.

For context, this is a $400,000, 4 bed, 3.5 bath, 2950 sq ft house on a slab near Atlanta, Georgia. The house is right at the average home price for the county, so not a cheap home nor a luxury home. Thoughts? Hoping some cabinet experts will chime in.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!