SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jally1

Gross rain barrel - extract emergency water using wringer?

jally
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, I'd appreciate any advice that (given my situation) can simplify the process of emergency drinking water accessibility. I browsed quite awhile for something simple to use for extracting drinking water out of my very gross rain barrel just in case.. After all, it wouldn't be the first time that utility grids fail.

My rain barrel is not at all professional. To make a long story short, suffice that the leader extends out into the yard, then just rests on the barrel so roof-water flows into it during rain. The barrel is open. Just so you know, its very hard to get knowledgable handymen around my area.

On gardenweb I read at least one guy advising to toss in copper pennies. But who knows if the resulting water would be human friendly?

So then I thought maybe I can use a simple "wringer" (the kind that's used for wringing mops?

The wringer I own is sorta like this one

https://suncoastemall.weebly.com/uploads/6/4/2/0/6420269/s131412174217381431_p22_i1_w300.jpeg

Would that work?

If not, then what? Some sort of net? Where to get?

I'm chronically ill, and very hard for me to go places. I don't own a car, and the bus system in this area is horrific.

P.S. I already have a Pre-Filter that I concocted using a Morton's jug-plus-plastic-screening,

... as well I have a Sawyer filter. After which I can just boil the water.

But I'd like to pour water that's free of fungi/lizards into the pre-filter.

Comments (11)