SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

A different kind of pig for Fair competition

annie1992
8 years ago

OK, so we've been busy. Elery's grandsons were here from California, and his brother in law in Tennessee passed away suddenly, so we made a trip there that took several days. In the middle of that, we had our local County Fair, which the grandkids always want to compete in for prizes.

The Princess decided that she needed to bake a cake shaped like a pig, since it's an agricultural fair. And since it was shaped like a pig, it had to contain bacon, so it was a dark chocolate and bacon cake, LOL.

Kind of in keeping with the agricultural theme, she made cupcakes decorated like fish. They were lime/coconut cupcakes with key lime frosting and were very good, I liked them a lot.

She decided to branch out and made some Tropical Heat jam, with pineapple, mango, coconut and habanero. Elery loved that one.

Altogether she entered five items and came away with five blue ribbons, nothing to sniff at. The Grand Champion ribbon eluded her yet again, though, it went to a plate of chocolate chip cookies. She's already plotting for next year.

Her brother entered a picture of the farm and took a blue ribbon, and a picture of his puppy and got a second place ribbon. He then decided he needed to bake something and so he made Grandma's Chewy Molasses cookies, which earned him another blue ribbon.

I was severely pressed for time, so I entered salsa, some pickles, Black Forest jam and got some blue ribbons of my own.

I don't know how it happens, but every year at Fair time, something happens to interfere with our baking plans, LOL. It's not deterred The Princess, though, who's already looking at recipes for next year's Grand Champion competition.

Annie

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022