SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_passionate_thumb

Professional Landscapes In Ameteur Competitions

As many of you know the Calgary Horticultural Society has an annual garden competition to showcase what can be accomplished in our spiteful (too far?) climate by gardeners who range in experience from complete novices to veterans of many years and trends. They share in common a love of gardening and plants. More importantly to this competition they all pursue gardening as a hobby and not a profession. This keeps the competition fair and showcases what an individual can create in their spare time. Ive toured the winning gardens to gain inspriration and experience the creative expressions of other amateur gardeners.

One winning garden could be quite easily differentiated from the others this year. In the local newspaper the garden in question was featured with the information it had been professionally landscaped in consultation with the owners. This was evident in several forms upon my personal viewing of the garden. The gazebo, retaining walls (almost 17 feet high at some points to create a great vantage point), waterfalls, and ponds were all almost certainly done by professionals evident by scale alone. The hardscape made this yard. It couldÂve been planted very poorly and still looked great. Dissecting the plant landscape becomes a bit speculative. After looking through many gardens both professional and amateur you develop an eye as to styles. This garden appeared like it almost had two different styles. The predominant style was composed of architectural plants like Hosta and junipers arranged in the typical professional like mass groupings with textual differences. These arrangements were similiar to some landscape cookie cutter arrangements and used typical landscape plants like junipers, hostas, and japanese iris. Then there were single interesting plants scattered around which didnÂt have as big an impact. I talked a bit to the owner and got a bit confused because it seemed like she spoke of things more from the perspective of the landscapers she hired. For instance I asked about her Hostas and the conditions they were in to promote such great growth. She replied that when the landscapers came in she recalled one of them complaining about the smell of steer manure so maybe that's why they grew so well. Most people know their plants offheart and she didnÂt have many species but had to consult a list many times to answer peoples questions. I could continue but the point is that she didnÂt seem to know her own yard.

Professional design is allowed in this competition if they consult with the homeowner and itÂs maintained by the homeowner for at least five years. ThereÂs no clear evidence that this wasnÂt followed by the homeowner and if this wasnÂt the case I donÂt know how the judges could follow up. ThereÂs no doubt that the landscape was well done and deserved to win (under the circumstance some good gardens I saw didnÂt enter the perennnial garden category in which she placed second). Subjective as it is I canÂt help but feel that this garden shouldnÂt have been in the competition. All the categories it won in (Novice large, large, living area , waterfall) were heavily influenced by professional design. Is this fair for amateurs and does it accomplish the competitions goals of showcasing what amateurs can do?

Edmonton also has an annual garden competition. They have separate categories for professional landscapes. Do you think as I do that implementing this system would make things fairer? Professional landscapes can be well done and I think the society should exhibit them. Do you agree on this point? Do you believe that the competition should impose tighter restrictions on professional design? How much profesiional help is too much? How would judges discern who has done what? Lastly do you think that it's more pertinent to this competition that a garden is maintained, designed, or built by the homeowner? In the judges mark book design and construction are more important than maintenanance?

Comments (27)