SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leaningoakranch

Help with landscape planning a HUGE!!!! yard!!!!

leaningoakranch
17 years ago

I just bought this house recently. It sits on seven acres. Five of those acres are horse pasture in the rear. These acres are fenced off from the two acres in the front that the house sits on. The front two acres are almost a perfect rectangle in shape with the long sides parallel with the street. Obviously since I have horses, I am into the western, rustic look. So a natural wildlife friendly garden is a given. Also since I have horses that occasionaly might break out of their pasture from time to time (or I might forget to lock the gate securely is what I meant to say) then I cant put anything in the design of the garden that is poisonous to horses or animals in general since I also have four large dogs and a cat. I have no idea where to start. Two acres is huge and I dont know where to start digging in. My lot is also almost totally alkaline as are everyone elses on my block according to people who have been here for decades. I tested this myself several times and in different locations and discovered the same. Would like to keep as many of the oaks and other trees but dont really care about ripping anything else out. So give me your best ideas.

This is the front left corner of the house looking in the direction of the middle of the property.

{{gwi:9045}}

This is the Front right corner of the property looking towards the middle.

{{gwi:9046}}

This is a view of the Circle driveway directly running through the middle of the property as seen from the gate.

{{gwi:9047}}

This is from the driveway Looking at the left front corner of the property.

{{gwi:9048}}

This is from the Left Rear Looking towards the Front Left and the back of the house.

{{gwi:9050}}

This is from the exact middle of the yard looking past the circle drive at the street.

{{gwi:9052}}

Right Rear of the property looking towards the front left.

{{gwi:9055}}

Right Middle looking towards the left front.

{{gwi:9057}}

This is the raised bed that is on the right side of the house that is overrun and falling apart.

{{gwi:9059}}

This is a floating bed directly in front of the house it isnt even parallel with the house or the street. Has nothing in it but weeds right now.

{{gwi:9061}}

This is the rear of the house where the porch is and a bed with purple sage that my wife hates.

{{gwi:9063}}

This is the right corner of the house. The only spot I saw that had some promise right away. I plan on putting up trellis for vines to enclose the area in a circular fashion, and add a 10foot wide half circle garden bench made out of logs.

{{gwi:9065}}

This is the front bed.

{{gwi:9067}}

This is the area to the right of the drive.

{{gwi:9069}}

Well folks give me some ideas here. Oh I had thought about putting a large circular several tier pond and fountain, possibly with goldfish in the area of the circle drive. This place is a blank canvas. I am fairly poor, so going to an expensive designer is not even an option. Since all the work would be done by me and my wife, and any money we do have should be spent on the plants and supplies. We can only afford either the landscaping or the designer, one or the other but not both. And since plans dont do us any good without money to buy plants. Its just an piece of paper that becomes worthless. If I got help from you all designing my own plan, then I could put all that money and effort into landscaping.

Comments (18)