SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
intltraveler

New Landscape Plan for Front Yard

intltraveler
4 years ago

I'm reworking my front landscape and I wanted to pass some ideas/questions along to the group. There is bindweed that has grown in all the flowerbeds and in the lawn. I just decided to remove all the old landscaping - the bindweed is just choking it all so I need to work on managing it. I have a company that does organic lawn care coming on Saturday to look a the lawn and weed issue.

My questions....

• Should the smoke tree stay or go? Its beautiful but messy and I think it's too close to the house. I was thinking of a sargent tina crabapple that is smaller and I wouldn't have to vigorously prune like the smoke tree.
  • I'm moving the rose of sharon tree to the back yard. Winter gem box wood was mentioned to me by a local nursery as a good foundation plant to put in the front. Do I need something in front of the boxwood for vertical height between the windows?
  • I wanted something vertical next to the door and the nursery suggested: purple pillar rose of sharon, fine leaf buckthorne or black tower elderberry. Anyone have any experience with these or another suggestion?
  • Because of the bindweed, should I consider just putting in fabric and rocks in the front?
  • I don't really like the straight flower bed but I also don't want to increase my work having it extend the full length of the walkway. What could be some other shapes that would work for the flower bed in the front besides just straight? Would I need to include the cherry tree to the left in the bed?
  • The smaller bed to the right - I'm going to take out the perennials and put fabric/rocks in. Add some drift roses and some different perennials.

Thank you

CJ

Comments (9)