SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jules84

Plan for ranch front yard landscaping--am I on the right track?

jules84
17 years ago

{{gwi:8097}}

I'm a first time homeowner, and I'm trying to come up with a plan to landscape my front yard. I'm planning on selling my home in four-five years, so my main goal is relativley low-maintenance curb appeal. I know five years isn't a lot of time for plants to mature, but I can't stand not doing anything. I'm not doing any hardscaping other than getting rid of the lampost (it doesn't work). I'll probably move the mailbox to the right as well.

I don't like the two conical evergreens framing the doorway, so I'm thinking about moving them to either side of the far left window.

I guess my main thought was to run a flowering vine up the porch columns,(probably clematis) and fill out the existing shrubs in front of the porch and foundation with a few colorful perennials and some bushes that flower in spring, and/or have nice red/orange leaf color during fall. The house colors are so tame and blah that I think some color will perk it up. OH, I'm also planning on installing irrigation along the foundation of the house and along the entry path.

I have two matching container plantings (about 4ft tall; cordyline, Osteospermum & usually Helichrysum ) to flank the doorway, and hanging pocket containers to hang between the columns. (I usually use impatiens and calibrachoa). Then I wanted to have some sort of low/medium sized-edging along the walkway to the front door. (Can't decide whether a curved border, or a more formal line would be better there.) And some corner beds on the front right and left corners of the property near the sidewalk. (Could possibly move the evergreens there instead of having them flank the left window, and flank the window with some fun flowering shrub like Rose of Sharon instead.) Will also do some sort of mailbox bed as well.

Does any of that sound okay? Or does anyone have other ideas? The house faces South, and most of the front gets direct sunlight except the right side where the trees give it dappled shade. I'm in St. Louis (zone 6).

I've never landscaped before so I'm not at all confident that my plan is emphasizing/de-emphasising the right areas.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:8097}}

Comments (3)