SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mitcfish

Need help from tile expert: what to do with chipped tiles

mitcfish
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all,

I've my tiles delivered on 19th May 2015 but it is until now that my tiler has opened the boxes and found out that there are a few chipped pieces in 2/3 of the boxes I purchased.

Each box consists of 12 tiles in various sizes and should be laid in a particular order to form a unique pattern, therefore defects in any one of the piece in a box would turn the whole box useless.

Based on my tiler experience, those chips as shown in the photos are manufacture defects rather than chipping due to mishandling in transportation. Judging from the defects of the tile’s edge in the next photo, he is convinced that the defects are caused during cutting of the tile from a larger slab because the chipped area has been profiled and smoothed out.

More photos are attached to show the defects in various pieces. These tiles are pretty hard actually and kind of expensive ($13 per ft), I wonder how those chips can be made while not having cracks in the tile.

Apparently my tiler is blaming the tile company for selling me defective tiles and I should get an exchange on these or a partial refund. But the tile company is not willing to exchange these (not to mention about the refund) because according to their sales rep, a lot of things can happened once the tiles have been delivered to my house. Anyway, so will these chips become very visible if I've no choice but to install these tiles? I would love to hear your thoughts. Many thanks!

Comments (3)