SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gldnfan

? Tile experts - defective tile installed, needs replacing

gldnfan
15 years ago

I have had the oddest issues with our whole house remodel. Funky door/window trim and now my kitchen backsplash.

THis is kind of long --

I splurged on an oceanside glass mosaic for my kitchen backsplash - 50 sq feet of it. It was installed and it looked fine - gorgeous in fact - when I went by to see it quickly the first day before grouting. THis is the last of our tile work and everything else has been near perfection - so I wasn't concerned and did not inspect it carefully as I needed to be somewhere.

The next evening after it was grouted I stopped by again and was admiring it and then walked up to view it more closely. THe mosaic is a mix of slate and glass 1x2's and the glass are irrid. and clear. I noticed a brown and grey shadow behind the glass tiles - looked kind of like mold behind the tiles - sounds pretty huh? ;-) My first thought was what the heck did they use for adhesive?! All my bathrooms have glass tile that was installed beautifully so I could not imagine how this got screwed up so I went to look for the extra box of tile. All over the box it says inspect carefully no recourse after install. Great. I discover that a couple sheets are really dirty on the back - this tile is paper fronted - and the rest of the box looks ok at first glance but if you hold it to the light just right there was some kind of filmy gunk on the tiles - unevenly and I could scrape it with my fingernail. I looked some more and found some of the sheets the installers rejected - they looked like the really obviously dirty ones in the box.

I immediately took the box to the shop where I got the tile - took tons of photos of the install too. Long story short - get a call - voicemail - today that my new tile is being made and I can expect it next week.

Ok, that is great - it was about $2000 of tile - but what about install? I have not talked to my rep yet but it seems like there should be some compensation for having to tear out and reinstall since the tile was defective and the method of installation - paper fronted - hid the problem before install. The irrid. quality also contributed.

I am glad they agree they need to replace the tile but I am at the end of a long remodel and have no money left to pay the tile installer twice.

DO any of you installers think the installer should take any responsibility given many of the sheets did look really bad in terms of having brownish gray spots on the backs? I think the mosaic made the problem less obvious but should a good installer notice that glass should not have anything on the back?

I included pictures in the link below under "Tile Issues"

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile issue

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths