SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenredo2_gw

Need Expert Advice: Have Contractor Tear Out Tile or Leave As Is?

kitchenredo2
14 years ago

We are renovating and added a master bath. The tile went in and love it. The plumber (a subcontractor), when he attached the bar for the handshower didn't install it in the right spot, moved it and I ended up with two holes in the tile. Ironically, it still wasn't in the right spot. When my husband mentioned the holes to the plumber, he didn't admit his mistake and instead told my husband that the shower door would cover them (it won't it's a frame-less shower door). We found other things he ruined and he is not being allowed back in the house.

So the contractor had to remove the damaged tiles and put them back. It does not look as nice as it did originally. In addition, we noticed over the weekend that the tile that was replaced is chipped on the edges. My husband doesn't want them to remove it for fear that it is going to look even worse.

When I spoke with the contractor today, I showed him that the tile they installed was chipped on the edges. He said it was that way in the box. I am living on-site and would have been more than happy to drive to the tile store and get tile that wasn't chipped (I have made numerous runs to the tile store for additional tile).

While standing in the shower, I noticed that the el for the handshower was installed upside down. I asked if it could be fixed and I was told that they would not be able to cut the nipple to the right size and that the only options are to try to turn the el and hope it has enough give so that the el will be hanging down and not up, but if there isn't enough give, it could crack the tile. The other option is to turn it the opposite direction, but this would create a gap between the tile and the el and then it would have to be caulked and it would not look as nice.

I am so annoyed. What should I do? Forget about the chips and live with it (this tile wasn't cheap)? Have them try to turn the el and hope the tile doesn't crack. Turn the el the other way and let them caulk it? Have them remove the tile and do it right?

Thanks in advance - I really don't know which is the lesser of all evils....

Comments (4)