SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

My 10,000 Year Old Native American Spearhead is Finally Framed & Hung

LynnNM
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Several months ago I posted questions and pics of an old spearhead that my brother had found on his property and gifted me with. At that time, I was thinking it might be one to two hundred years old. Imagine my surprise when 3 experts from museums around the country all agreed that it was a prime example of an 8,000 - 10,000 year old Lost Lake spearhead!

It took our long-time framer and myself, 2 months to find the perfect framing material and matting, and then for her to create a museum grade frame for it. But, it's finally back and DH and I hung it this afternoon. We decided to hang it in our front foyer, as it gets great indirect light there and can easily be studied up close. It's directly across from one of our larger NA shaman statues, which I think works well. Anyhoo, here it is before it was framed:

And here it is (finally!) framed. I had to shoot this pic on an angle with DD holding up a large black poster board to block out reflections, so the detail isn't as fine as I'd like it to be:

A close-up of the information plaque. (Edited to add that "B.P." stands for "before present time):

And a close-up of the frame, which I think was perfect for it. It looks ancient itself! (Sorry about the door reflected in the frame's glass)

I realize that not everyone is as fascinated by ancient artifacts like this, as I am, but I did want to share it with anyone who might appreciate it. The thought that some ancient man 8,000 to 10,000 years ago made this, held this in his hands, hunted with it is incredible to me. And now it's out of the ground after all this time and saved for generations to come, to see and admire.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths