SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yepitsdevon

X-posted off topic but need some help. Cell phone towers

Giving this a long shot in the dark because I don't know where else to post this and I know this forum has quite a bit of traffic to it, but long story short I'm looking for information from other cell phone tower owners/people who have a tower on their land.

On with the story... Four or so years ago a big name phone company contacted my dad about some property that they were interested in putting a tower on. Great. We were picked, they are good tenants, 600 a month rent, mind you we are very rural I've read that rent in the city is $3,000.00+ a month for a good spot on a building.

Now here's where I would love to talk with others... For the last year and a half we have had company represtitives call wanting to buy out our lease, low ball offers at first, but the offers keep going up. It's all lump sum and then they get another company to put a tower on their tower and you would get a cut of the 2nd companies rent. Three or four months ago I was looking into cell phone tower lawyers. but they see all out of Georgia and down south. Damnit I want someone that I can talk to in person, and who is in it for my interest! When I was calling around to the lawyers in the area, (Google telecommunications lawyer...try to say that three times fast.... Bahaha) All of the lawyers I talked to would be the lawyers for the said, big four companies... I talked to a few and all they said was "dear we would be the ones opposing you".... Well s#+-! Ok... Now where?

Google is no help, no forums, it's like the area 51 of cell phone towers. Don't ask don't tell... A family four miles down the road has the competitors cell phone tower on their land and we get a better deal. Ours is about a hundred or so feet taller and a few years newer, but they have been getting offers and they just hang up on them and aren't interested. Not that we are interested in selling off, because I feel that 600 a month for 30 year least with a 10% raise to the rent every 5 years is better than a lump sum of anything....

My hang up is this... Why can't we as the little guy in the big pond have to use a third party company to buy out our lease and then get another phone company on our tower? Why can't we forgo using the third party and market our tower for the other two companies that have no! And I mean zero service in our area? I mean.. I guess it would be nice if I could talk to a damn lawyer about it... As the saying goes... Poop in one hand and want in the other and see which one gets full first.. And thats how it's probably going to go..

If it makes any difference, the said cell phone company also started to sell off its towers to a company that is going to manage them for the cell phone companies. They were the ones who contacted us a few months ago about buying us out and putting another company on the tower.

And as of yesterday we got a call from another lawyer wanting to add another 15 years to the contract.. What are they gonna do if we don't want to.... Lol pick it up and move it... I just want to talk to a person! A lawyer not a damn paralegal!

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing??

Signed..

Someone who is going to inherit a cell phone tower...

Comments (2)