SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amopower

inherited a 20yr old Rainbird irrigation system

amopower
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

HI all,

I just bought a house, and the previous owner (or the one before him) had a Rainbird 1260BI irrigation system installed. (12 stations). The installer wrote a date from 1995 on the panel, so I would assume it was installed in that year. The system had not been used by this previous owner for I dont know how long - and he made no guarantees. I would imagine it had not been used for at least ten years, as I am finding sprinkler heads sometimes buried under landscaping rocks.

I would like to get it working again, so I got the well pump up and running. (kicks on around 45 psi, off around 68).

When I have the pump on though, it runs continuously as if there is a major water leak somewhere (runs constantly around 35psi), yet i am finding no swampy spots when i walk thru the property and none of the sprinklers are full open (YET some are weeping as if the solenoid did not turn off completely). When i turn off the valve on hte output side of the pump, it quickly climbs back up to the 68psi and shuts off, so the pump is good.

Couple questions:

1. There are 10 zones handwritten on the panel, describing the general location in the yard of where the station is covering. Does this mean I should be able to find 10 separate solenoids throughout the yard? So far I can only find 3!! If I should be able to find 10, is there a way to find them easier than uncovering every square inch of the yard? (thermal imaging camera??)

2. Since the system hasn't been used in well over ten years in my opinion (first run of water was pure iron rust color for at least 3 minutes), should I replace the 1800 series 12" sprinklers? I dont know if the spring has a certain lifespan, or if these are possibly clogged up, but for $8 a piece at HomeDepot, I have no issue getting all new ones.

3. Should I replace the solenoids as well? They seem pretty cheap too. The 3 I was able to locate are half buried in dirt, which i assume should NOT have been able to get in the valve boxes, but after twenty years, it happened. I thought these should have been free of dirt and surrounded with gravel.

thanks

Scott

Comment (1)