Houzz Logo Print
ddiverblue

My Adenium needs serious help, please.

ddiverblue
8 years ago

I purchased this plant in 2004. Unfortunately I have no photos of it at
that time but it was in a 4 inch pot. Here is a pic of it in 2006:

I think it is Obesum. Here was it's bloom:

In 2009 it was outside, and we had an unexpected freeze. A number of the branches were brown and mushy, so I cut them off hoping they would survive and branch. Instead they just look rotten and have never leafed out. It has also been sunburned. This is what it looks like now. I know it needs serious pruning, and maybe something done about what looks like rot on the caudex. It's the black areas. Here it is now:

I'm a complete novice with Adeniums. This has been my favorite plant out of many, but it has only bloomed sporadically and only 3 or 4 blooms at a time. I think I've over-watered it at times. It needs some serious help! I'd love to have this one rejuvenated and blooming well again. It's only been up potted 3 or 4 times in 11 years. It's currently in a 9" pot .It is kept inside at 6500 ft elevation in NM in a brightly lit sun-room window during the winters and it goes outside in light shade in summer. I'm hoping the nice looking caudex can be saved, and that it's not too late for it. Please tell me if I'm better off just starting with a new plant. I'd also like to know what caused all the spots on the leaves in 2006. They came all at once while it was outdoors. I'm interested in how I should proceed. Thanks for reading and advice.

~Karen

Comments (109)