SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjmm1

I need some serious help!!!! Please!!!

kjmm1
9 years ago

Ive been researching wood flooring for so long that i m about to give up. Everything I read just adds to my indecisiveness. I am located in orange county ca. Considered coastal ca but im not directly on the coast...im about 15 minutes inland. I *think* it is humid here, avg 80% and looking at the avg monthly humidity chart i have big swings in humidity levels throughout the year. I was pretty much set on engineered hardwood for this reason, i knew i wanted dark, and exotic because i have dogs and kids. I was about to place an order for indus parquet angelim or brazilian chestnut but then found a post on here of the wood seperating from the plywood. I also plan to sell in a few years so i was thinking about marketability later on... i know that around here there is this thing for "real solid wood" and "real travertine". So then i started looking at solid exotics. Expensive, but i suppose i wouldnt mind paying for quality. But then i found reviews of cupping and gapping in solid exotics in unstable humidity areas. Ugh. I cant win! I give up. So then i thought why not just do solid white oak...get some flooring guy to take control of the project tell him i want dark stain semi gloss finish 5" wide solid premium quality and just get it done. Matter of fact im waiting on a quote for that. Hope he doesnt think im crazy and will actually quote it!

So im looking for some help...i want to know if some or all of my thought process was misguided or wrong or can i still get what i want? I still want exotic wood. I have dogs and kids and i just like the look and hardness of exotic. But is it true that in my climate exotic is a bad idea? Can I actually get away with engineered exotic? Does engineered exotic have the seperating problems in my climate? Is oak the better choice? should i go with engineered oak in my climate? Any brands to suggest that wont seperate?

Comments (33)

• PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    9 years ago

Have you considered tile that looks just like hardwoods? You'd be amazed at the selection of colors, textures and sizes available these days.

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I did and i have samples of ergo wood talk. Sorry i left that out of the story. I nearly placed an order for that too. Beautiful but my concern is reselling in a few years. There is a perception that "faux" is cheap and less desirable around here. All else being equal real wood would be chosen over tile that looks like wood. And when i told people of my tile that looks like wood plans i got all these weird or dissapointed looks like that i was getting something fake!

• Related Discussions

Help! Our new house needs some serious curb appeal.

Q

Comments (4)
    Way to go! Nice house! Everybody will have their own opinions about what looks aesthetically pleasing... For me, I'd enjoy a row of spruces, the nearer the curb the better. Why not have your soil tested and have the utility companies come out spray paint your grass for stuff you'll need to avoid. How long do you intend to live there? If you plant larger trees they give you privacy quicker but cost a lot more. Additionally, plant some 1/2 barrels and put flowers on that patio. Update your front door to something nicer? Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. Gus
    ...See More

I need some serious help with my Elberta Peach trees

Q

Comments (2)
    I hope thisisme's hunch is wrong. Sound like a possible nitrogen deficiency to me. I'd suggest gathering a bagful of dropped leaves and sending them to your extension service's laboratory. Your ccunty agent can give you the address and price for diagnosis. Misterbaby.
    ...See More

Need some serious advice, please

Q

Comments (12)
    I do not judge people on the weeds in their lawn ... mostly I look with scorn upon those WITH perfect lawns because I know how they came to be. As for weeds, I try to keep any that I have from going to seed. I pluck off every dandelion flower that I see (and put it in my pocket because it turns to seeds if you throw it on the ground). Right now, the "enemy" is hairy bittercress - I walk around with a grocery bag and pull every one I see (they are easily pulled up) before they go to seed. I'll miss some, I know that. But I will have stopped thousands of seeds from hitting the ground for next year. Henbit is also quite easily pulled. Dallas grass is bad, I know. For that, I use scissors to cut it off at the ground and hopefully it runs out of energy one day. I don't use a lawn service, but then I guess you figured that out by now. Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

Need some serious good thoughts please

Q

Comments (42)
    Good thoughts and hopes for early, full and uncomplicated healing and low stress for both of you. Prayers offered for the above. (((((husband and terilyn))))) ole joyful
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    9 years ago

Trust this....some of it does NOT look "fake." I've done a couple of homes where their "wood guy" came in and commented, "Oh, nice looking wood floors!." I told him to look closer and he was amazed.

The big "upside" of this to perspective buyers is to mention, no scratching, no water damage, virtually zero maintenance, no staining, no refinishing...and the list goes on.....

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so if i go back to going with tile which ones are the most realistic that fool wood guys? I was going to go with ergon wood talk white smoke. That is the opposite of dark glossy exotic wood but of the tile i received samples of i liked it the best for my paint and decor. Is that a good one or is there better?

• Vith
    9 years ago

LVP is actually making its way around too. Looks like wood but is waterproof. Easy to install also. Some of the higher end LVP costs as much as hardwood. My wife and I personally don't like tile, super hard to walk on, and cold on the foot (its usually cold enough where we live). There are plenty that do like tile though, usually more southern states. Real wood looks amazing, but it has to be done right and there is maintenance to keep it great. Also real wood and high humidity could be a problem. Laminate and high humidity is a problem also. That is why they don't recommend installing real wood and laminate in a bathroom.

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What is LVP?

• Vith
    9 years ago

Luxury vinyl plank

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ohhh thx!

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any suggestions on the most realistic wood tile? Is the ergon wood talk good? How do they look on stairs???

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Yes, please, Stonetech! Could you please list some of these more realistic wood-look tiles?

• PRO
    9 years ago

Truthfully, this is more a matter of taste than anything else. I can tell you that HD and Lowe's offer some pretty reasonable products at a competitive price. The "Higher End" stores have some great stuff at two or three times the price....and that's fine.

The key is to find something that YOU like, buy a sample and put it down in YOUR area and live with it for a couple of days in your environment, in your light.

When comparing, look down the edge for excessive "bowing." Too much makes your installer work harder. Like something? Put two of them "face to face" and see if they spin freely.....an indication of bowing...something to avoid.

Getting ready to install a bunch of it from HD....and it looks pretty decent.

Best O' Luck!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Thank you, Stonetech, that's helpful. How does one go about getting multiple sample tiles for "testing" for bowing? Whenever I ask for a sample, I get one, and it is often very difficult to get that one.

• User
    9 years ago

I don't think that delamination of engineered flooring is prevalent. I have heard of the Indusparquet brand but don't personally know of it's quality. I have done quite a bit of Triangulo which is probably similar. In one instance I had some flooded and the damage was minor.

I'm not sure where you got the information leading you to conclude the product was prone to delaminate, but if you like the wood, I suggest you do some further research. Furthermore, manufacturer's construction warranties are in place to guard against such an occurrence. The only exception I can think of would occur when the flooring is installed in a very arid climate and shrinkage causes cracks, checking or delamination.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Hellytoast~ Depends on where you look. HD and Lowe's have boxes of the stuff on display and you can do your testing right there. "Specialty" stores....not so much, but you still oughta be able to ask for several tiles to do the comparison.

• Vith
    9 years ago

To get a sample of tile or flooring, buy a box, and take it home and inspect, lay it down in your place. Return it when done.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

You forgot "Pay the 25% restocking fee." And many tiles aren't carried in stock, but rather have to be ordered. I guess you could try to order a few sq. ft., but I'm not sure that would give you an accurate look at the whole lot, and I'd want to be fairly certain that was the actual tile that I wanted. I woudn't want the experience to be like buying paint where you end up buying dozens of samples.

• User
    9 years ago

Buying a sample box or boxes of flooring is less costly than ending up with the wrong floor.

• Vith
    9 years ago

I am talking about in stock items. They wont charge restocking for returning those. If it was a special order item then yes there may be a fee.

• cpartist
    9 years ago

I am in FL and have had engineered hardwood floors for five years so far with no problems at all. I have Ipe wood which is an exotic and the hardest wood you can get. Gorgeous and dark. I have not heard of anyone having a problem with their engineered wood floors. Just make sure you get a reputable brand.

• PRO
    9 years ago

We're talking about a "wood look" ceramic tile here.

• User
    9 years ago

Actually the OP initially mentioned wood.

• PRO
    9 years ago

True....but it gravitated toward using a "wood-look" ceramic...and that's what we were talking about.

• User
    9 years ago

That doesn't mean you get to control the conversation. Do you want someone following you around chiding you when you suggest wood look ceramic when the question is about wood? cpartist had a valid comment based on personal experience..

• PRO
    9 years ago

Not trying to "control" anything. This was mentioned as an option....and I responded as such. You wanna use wood? Great. Go for it. You have water problems, wood is a poor choice. Porcelain eliminates that problem. Do you dispute that?

• cpartist
    9 years ago

Well it sure felt like you were steering the whole conversation to tile. And why do you assume the OP will have water problems? Like I said, I'm in a high humidity area too (south Fl) and have had no problems in the five years my floors have been down. Engineered hardwood. I've seen 100 year old floors here that are in perfect condition too.

• cpartist
    9 years ago

I am right across the street from the water Sophie so please tell me and all my Fl friends with our engineered wood floors why it isn't conducive for engineered wood. None of us have had a problem and most have floors older than mine. Maybe in the past it was true but engineered woods have come a long way since then

• User
    9 years ago

80% humidity with no humidity control that results in wide swings, dogs, kids, dark color wanted. All are a recipe for problems with a dark wood floor. Tile will not be bothered with humidity, can stand up to dog nails and kid abuse, as well as not have any scratches at all that show horribly on a dark surface. Porcelain tile doesn't scratch. Wood floor warranties require that the environment have around 30% humidity. Year round. AC in the summer, and a humidifier in the winter. You don't do that, your warranty is toast.

This has nothing to do with the quality of engineered flooring, which is quite good if you buy good quality flooring. Crappy engineered is a problem no matter what, no matter where. This has to do with the OP wanting wood to stand up to conditions where it won't perform at it's best. Whereas tile will give her the performance characteristics that she seeks. When you set yourself up for disappointment by expecting a product to not behave as it's nature has it behave, that's just not the smart product choice. Look at all of the marble threads wanting marble to behave like plastic or engineered stone and being disappointed when it behaves like marble. People can avoid that letdown if they actually pick a product that performs correctly for the usage in question. And skip all of the vanity choices for appearance's sake.

• cpartist
    9 years ago

She didn't say whether or not she had humidity control. Only that outside it was very humid. Just like here. I have a dog too btw and am in and out all day long.

Agreed that crappy engineered is a problem no matter what. I used good quality.

You have a point with your comments about people avoiding letdowns because products behave as they were meant to. I was just trying to say that depending on the engineered wood (I used Ipe) you can have your cake and eat it too. No scratches, no cupping, warping, etc here.

• User
    9 years ago

The OP never said they have water problems. They said they have high humidity. Quite likely they're referring to outdoor humidity. I live in south Florida so I'm familiar with high humidity. Most homes here are climate controlled all year long. Many houses visible from my desk have solid wood flooring that was installed in houses here that are largely uninsulated and were built before air conditioning became prevalent and they're largely in good shape.

Some solid exotics are problematic in regards to humidity swings but engineered floors only have issues when subjected to extremely low humidity or flooding. Wood seems a feasible option in this case of this poster. Even the least expensive items I have seen are reasonably stable. The effect of low cost is generally manifested in lower grade veneer or shorter lengths.

I have nothing against wood look ceramic but it will never will never give you the board lengths, color depth and variety of a product like Triangulo 1/2" x 5-1/4" engineered plank.

Additionally, one needs to consider the leveling aspect of using wood look ceramics. From what I've heard and read, the subfloor has to be very level before installation of square edged wood look tiles.

All that said, I've often advised people that they'd be better off with carpet, vinyl, tile or another hard surface floor, when it was obvious that their situation was problematic for wood, even though I only sell wood.

• sabigabatini
    9 years ago

I've seen some very real looking wood tile. I have some that I love in a small bathroom. However, I also have been in a home that had it installed throughout the living areas. It is a rock-hard surface -- and for that reason, not a surface I'd ever want to live on. There is no give, at all. Hard on joints, hard on a dog, for sure.

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just wanted to post and say thank you all so much for all of your opinions, and all opinions are welcome! I was considering both options and wanted a opinions from all sides..my heart wanted wood, but think I've decided that wood is too impractical for my situation.

I'll post the link to the delamination thread I found that had me worried for those who were wondering.

To bring some closure on this topic, I think I just can't get behind the tile that looks like wood because for some reason, inside of me, I feel like the material and the look are too discordant with each other, I don't know.. it's a mental thing for me, I guess!

So now I'm looking at stone and porcelain that looks like stone...I'll be posting a new thread on that shortly!

• edenaurora
    8 years ago

I know this is bumping up an old post but thought I would post a picture of my Ergon Woodtalk in Grey Pepper. It looks very realistic. We are impressed with the quality and look. Our installer was raving about how nice the tile is and how consistent the dimensions are.