SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Flavor/timing of fermenting green jalapenos for hot sauce?

katyajini
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have asked the same question in the Hot Pepper forum so this is a double posting. I was not sure where I might get a response.

For the first time I am practicing making fermented hot sauce from fresh chilies (inspired by Gardenweb member of course!)

There are so many recipes and procedures on the web for making fermented hot pepper sauces, often contradicting each other....so I have to do a trial run. I chose a simple recipe for a sriracha type hot sauce, me using green jalapenos. It calls for chopping up fine the peppers (1 1/2 lbs about 675 gms) with garlic (4 cloves) and salt (2 tsp sea salt about 13 gms) and sugar (said 1/2 cup, only used 2 tbs as sugar did not really agree with the green flavor for me) in a food processor and then letting it ferment loosely covered on your counter for several days (stated 4-7 days). Fermentation is supposed to start from about day 2. Once fermentation starts you are supposed to stir the mixture thoroughly once or twice a day. When there is adequate fermentation you puree the mix with vinegar, cook some (or not) and strain (or not) and then store.

Simple enough.

I am actually surprised how well it has worked so far. I don't have any experience of a standard to compare to, so I am thinking it is going very well. Well, fermentation did start on day 2. There was good bubbling through out. The color changed. The most remarkable thing was how the flavor changed from fresh herbaceous, spritely flavor of just cut up jalapenos to something so different. And I liked the new flavor. I don't know at all what to expect so I am letting it go longer as many people advise you too. I have not had any mold or off flavors as yet.

Right now the fermentation has slowed down considerably (day 6). There is a lot less bubbles. The flavor is changing day to day too. Now its tastes so much like kim chee. And its quite delicious. Its quite hot and peppery, sour with some chew and crunch left in the pepper bits.

I did have some questions for people who has done this, please......

My question is can I really let this go longer without it actually rotting or is it done???

The initial burst of fermentation was probably because of the added sugar but is it still fermenting now?

How do I know when fermentation is over?

How does the flavor change perceptibly as it ferments longer? What should I be able smell or taste?

How is 'aging' different from fermenting?

This is exciting and tasty....

Thank you so much for your help!

K.

Comments (6)