SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hottomato99

Help with gigantic jade cutting (yes, again...)

hottomato99
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hey all,

So i finally did it. I cheated. I have always felt that if you want a really old plant you should grow it yourself. Well other than a skinny finger, the only jade my collection was missing was something really big and old. So when i saw this plant on eBay i had to take the plunge.

Anyway, enough back story. I got my cutting today and it IS as big as the listing said. Unfortunately, it is in terrible condition. It looks like it has been sitting in a compost heap for about a month. The leaves are all shriveled, many are broken, there is rot in the base, and the whole mess is a bit limper than i would hope. I don't think the 2 week trip across the country in a box helped at all. Not rotted squishy, just limp and sad....

The bottom most part was a bit squishy so i cut off until there was no more black parts. Did i cut enough? Luckily, there were still a few roots left above the cut. I dusted with cinnamon, but that is all i have done. The issue is, i think this plant desperately needs water. it is not a fresh cutting by any stretch. I would guess it was not that healthy to begin with. However, i am afraid of more rot, so i don't want to plant and water until it has calloused. I have a pot and gritty mix all set to go, but i am just not sure what to do. Looking at that photo now, maybe i need to cut a bit more rot off....

It is currently laying on my deck in full shade. I misted the foliage so it should have some water, but that is about it. Please help!!!! I am not inexperienced with jades, but this one is so sad i need some help.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County